none
MS Project 2016 - Adding a "Modified Date" column to the Task List RRS feed

• Question

• Our team is using Project 2016/365 in a collaborative fashion.  I created the plan and team members access it weekly to update various fields for a given task. For example, they can update % Complete to reflect progress for the task during that week.  They can also adjust the Start/Finish date according for the actual Start/Finish. They can also update a custom Comment fields with a quick blurb. As the PM, I want to quickly identified what cells were updated when I open up the plan. There are over 300 task lines, so scrolling through and guessing what cells were updated is not very efficient; yet this is how I'm currently doing it now. Is it possible to add a system-type "Modified Date" and/or "Modified By" column to the plan?
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:30 PM

All replies

• texasanthony,

A couple of comments on your updating process. You mention that users update the Start and Finish fields according to the actual start and finish. Project does that automatically. As soon as a user enters a date into the Actual Start for Actual Finish field, Project automatically updates the Start and Finish fields.

If a user enters a non-zero value into the % Complete field and does not enter a date in the Actual Start field, Project automatically assumes the task started as planned and copies the Start date into the Actual Start field. Project does the same thing with the Actual Finish field once a task is marked as 100% complete.

You also mention a custom comment field. Project already has the Notes field which can hold a lot more information than any other text field in Project.

As far as adding a separate field for the "modified date", you can certainly use one of the extra date fields (e.g. Date1) but without automation through VBA the user will have to manually enter the date.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:58 PM
  • Thanks, John.  Yes, I'm aware of the automation of Start/Finish Actuals in Project.  I was giving examples of the type of changes the user might do the plan during an update.  I was looking for a quick way to identified which task and/or fields were updated when.  Your suggestions for VBA-enabled custom field might be the way to go to get me the solution I need.  You wouldn't happened to have the link for coding example for this? I recalled seeing it at one time when googling. 
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:51 PM
  • texasanthony,

The VBA code to do what you want requires triggering on a change Event and in this particular case, the ProjectBeforeTaskChange Event which is an application level Event requiring a class module. I don't normally work with Event macros so I would need to do some research and testing to write the code for you and I don't have the time right now.

You could try a Google search for links on that particular Event or perhaps someone else will jump in with a more definitive answer. If you are willing to wait, I can get back to you.

John

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:03 PM
  • texasanthony,

Since last posting I had another thought. If there are a limited number of fields that users update, (e.g. % complete, Actual Start, Actual Finish and Notes), it would be fairly simple to create a process whereby changed fields would be flagged as changed with a color background and a date field populated with the date of those changes, if desired. You would then see the changes when you open the file.

This all could be accomplished with a open Event macro, a custom field formula, and a close Event macro.

If interested, let me know. Sometimes I have to think "outside the bun".

John

Friday, August 23, 2019 3:47 PM
  • Let me go out on a limb here and suggest that your approach, allowing other people to open and edit the file, is flawed, unless you can be very sure that the other people know what they are doing, and it is very likely that they don't. They will input bad data, and you will have to check it, verify that it is or is not correct, and spend time fixing it.

Of course, if the people can demonstrate that they know what they are doing, then it will all be OK. But it still has to be checked. Why not simply do the progress status together?

Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:20 AM
  • texasanthony,

Yet another thought. Have you looked at the Compare Projects utility found under the Reports group of the Project ribbon tab. Since you are working with a single file, it will quickly tell you what changed since the last version.

John

Sunday, August 25, 2019 9:04 PM
  • texasanthony --

When you say you are using Project 2016/365 in collaborative fashion, do you mean that you are using Microsoft Project with the Project Online enterprise tool?  And if so, are you team members entering progress from the Tasks page in Project Web App?  If so, please let us know.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, August 26, 2019 8:30 PM