Cannot move domain to Exchange Online RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry, this might not be the right forum, but I don't see one more applicable.

I am trying to move our in-house IMAP email to Exchange Online. I'm following the procedure at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business/compare-all-microsoft-365-business-products and attempting to sign up for 365 Business Standard. Microsoft wants me to add a TXT record to the Network Solutions site (our domain name provider) to verify ownership. They give me the text record to enter. I've done so, twice now. It takes NS about an hour for that to propagate and for MS to recognize it.

Finally, it does recognize it and asks me to enter  an ID, which I do. Then it says my verification has expired and I have to do the whole thing again. I've done this twice now.

For the third attempt I've started over and entered: email address, name, company, phone ...  When I click 'next' it say,

"Please enter a valid email address configured to receive email, like someone@contoso.com to continue. THe email address you provided isn't valid."

Of course, that's true since I am trying to create a new admin address and in any case the A, MX and TXT records for our domain are now destroyed.

At the moment, I've restored the A and MX records to point back to our in-house server. No idea how to get past these issues.

Friday, September 4, 2020 11:58 PM

Answers

• I got this working. As mentioned the wizard at the URL listed in my OP times out by the time the TXT record propagates. So, I selected the "I'll try this later" (or whatever the selection is labeled) and went ahead and set up the account for mydom.onmicrosoft.com. That led me to the office.com admin page which gave me the option to switch domains after creating the account. That also gave me a TXT record to add to Network Solutions, but this page did not timeout and eventually I was able to VERIFY.

As to the "The email address you provided isn't valid" error, I should not have removed the existing A and MX records before creating the new Exchange account. As mentioned, I restored that back the original, non-Exchange versions and did not change those until the Admin page gave me the new MX, TXT and CNAME records to add.

• Marked as answer by jmarkfoley Saturday, September 5, 2020 10:49 PM
    Saturday, September 5, 2020 10:49 PM