SUMMARIZE function, please help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to use the summarize function but can't make it working. The general problem with that function is that it seems not to be working at all. Normally when I start typing, I can see in the syntax highlighting what part I'm currently in by making the font bold. That means that if I type a comma, it normally goes to the next "section".
    But with "SUMMARIZE" this doesn't work in Excel 2013. When I start typing (in the calcualtion area), the syntax tells me to name a table. But the font is not bold when I do this, and entering a comma doesn't jump to the next (Group by colum name1).

Do you experience the same issue?

Thanks and best regards

Tobias

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:10 AM

Answers

• This is not a problem with SUMMARIZE() rather with the syntax highlighting in the formula editing pane. You can continue writing a measure and it will behave appropriately even when the syntax highlighting fails.

I've completely given up on the default syntax highlighting in Excel, as it tends to lose its mind often when working with nested function calls, especially when going back through to edit. I would recommend you just ignore the syntax highlighting and get comfortable writing DAX without it in Excel.

GNet Group BI Consultant

• Marked as answer by Tobias999 Friday, October 9, 2015 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Hi Tobias,

According to your description, you said that the SUMMARIZE function not works in your PowerPivot data model, right?

I have tested it on my local environment, everything works fine. The sample DAX expression looks like
    Sales2:=SUMX(
                          SUMMARIZE
                                            (
                                                test1005,
                                                test1005[Site],
                                                "totalAmount",
                                                sum(test1005[Amount])
                                             ),
                           [totalAmount]
    )

Here is a blog which describes SUMMARIZE function in detail, please refer to the link below.
    http://www.cimaglobal.com/Thought-leadership/Newsletters/Insight-e-magazine/Insight-2012/Insight-December-2012/Excel-extras/

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:38 AM

All replies

• This is not a problem with SUMMARIZE() rather with the syntax highlighting in the formula editing pane. You can continue writing a measure and it will behave appropriately even when the syntax highlighting fails.

I've completely given up on the default syntax highlighting in Excel, as it tends to lose its mind often when working with nested function calls, especially when going back through to edit. I would recommend you just ignore the syntax highlighting and get comfortable writing DAX without it in Excel.

GNet Group BI Consultant

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Hi Tobias,

According to your description, you said that the SUMMARIZE function not works in your PowerPivot data model, right?

I have tested it on my local environment, everything works fine. The sample DAX expression looks like
    Sales2:=SUMX(
                          SUMMARIZE
                                            (
                                                test1005,
                                                test1005[Site],
                                                "totalAmount",
                                                sum(test1005[Amount])
                                             ),
                           [totalAmount]
    )

Here is a blog which describes SUMMARIZE function in detail, please refer to the link below.
    http://www.cimaglobal.com/Thought-leadership/Newsletters/Insight-e-magazine/Insight-2012/Insight-December-2012/Excel-extras/

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:38 AM
  • Hi Charlie, hi Greg,

thanks to both of you! The formula works right, even if the highlighting fails.
    The example from Charlie also works fine for me.

Best regards
    Tobias

Friday, October 9, 2015 8:49 AM