none
Vista Local security settings prohibit access to DSN in another domain. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Vista allows me to create an DSN with the ODBC (Administrative tools) and make the database file associated with this DSN to reside in a mapped drive on a LAN in a 2nd computer running XP..

Then when I want to use ActiveX to read data from that DSN, Vista tells me that I cannot access it.

Is there a way around that (besides switching back to XP)?

Some notes:

(1) I am not using "domains", so the file is not in "another domain" - there is no domain, just a 'workgroup' (same on both computers)

(2) If I cannot access the DSN, Vista should not let me create it in the 1st place, because unless I can access it, it is useless.

(3) I would rather not use "DSN less" connection, since I have no idea what could be at the other end - not everybody wants to use to use Access

I would appreciate some timely help on this from any one.

Thank you

Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:44 PM

All replies

• Is the mapped drive visible for both the user that creates the DSN (admin) as well as the user that uses it through the activeX control? Is it possible to use UNC paths?

Reason I ask is that you won't have the same mapped drives available when the user is running as standard user or as elevated.

What is the error you're getting?

Where is the ActiveX control running? In IE?

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Computer A (192.168.0.100)  has Vista.

It runs IE7 that uses the ActiveX (javascript) to read data from DSN=plantdata

"plantdata" is configured as  "H:\db1.mdb" in the "System DSN" of the ODBC Manager

Drive H: is mapped to Drive C: on computer B (192.168.0.103)

192.168.0.103 is in the list of 'Trusted sites" in IE7 and 'Run active components' is enabled for trusted sites in the Internet Options

Computer B (192.168.0.103) has XP.

Drive C: of computer B contains db1.mdb

From computer A, using Explorer, I can verify that H:\db1.mdb exists.

If  I try to open H:\db1.mdb, Vista tells me:

"Microsoft Access cannot open this file.

This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site. Microsoft Access will not open the file due to

potential security problems,

To open the file, copy it to your machine or an accessible network location."

I can copy the file from Drive H: to Drive C: and open it on drive C:

I can open the file at a 3rd computer on the same lan (192.168.0.108)

ActiveX on computer A, when attempting to open the DSN 'plantdata' that points to H:\db1.mdb, gives me the error message:

Error: Safety settings on this computer prohibit accessing a data source

on another domain.

These computers are in a 'workgroup'. I am not using a domain.

The file is not on another domain and it is on a 'trusted site'

Do you have any idea on what is wrong?

Thank you for your help

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:48 PM