Multilanguage support in existing application RRS feed

• Question

• User-47158572 posted

Hi to all,

I am little confused regarding the concepts of localisation and globalization.

I was working on a project which was totally database driven. All the data, images and flash stuff was coming from the database. Now the site is fully loaded with the data.

Now the client wants the currently running site in 5 different languages. So I read the resource files concept. Now the confusion arises. I have 2 types data on the site, one is static(ie text on labels, titles, buttons) and dynamic data that was added from the admin panel.

Now my question is: If at this stage I want to make the site in 5 different languages, then I have to make the resource files for all those languages so that the static data can be displayed in different languages.

But what about the dynamic data that was entered by the client. Client uploaded huge amount of data. Should I make the changes in the database tables and add 4 other columns for different languages and again upload that much data in those 4 languages.

I think that should not be the way.......Please assist me....

cheers

sneha

Monday, June 7, 2010 5:01 AM

Answers

• User-1200560727 posted

Hi Sneha,

You can also use translators to change database text dynamically.

Regards,

Tapan

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 12:49 AM

All replies

• User-1802908944 posted

dear Sneha,

for mulilingual application, need to only mange resource file for static data.

I mean here, you are entring data in database(admin). when you get the data from database, need to bind static data e.g. Label and other info.

if you want to display gridHeader, then write global resource as well and get value when you bind your grid at runtime

happy coding

Monday, June 7, 2010 8:55 AM
  • User-47158572 posted

Hi Naresh,

Thanks for replying. You mean to say that resource files are only for static data ie. text on buttons, text on labels etc.

So what about the data coming in a label from database. How to globalize that.????

cheers

sneha

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 12:36 AM
  • User-1200560727 posted

Hi Sneha,

You can also use translators to change database text dynamically.

Regards,

Tapan

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 12:49 AM