Binding Configuration - Close Session RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i have two questions:

1) how can i create in code a new binding configuration, that i can add to my binding?  (likewise the config file). Or isn't that possible, and do i have to create a custom binding?  I would like to put the reliable session property of my nettcpbinding instance on false, but it's a read only property.

2)

On my client i have following code:

NetTcpBinding binding = new NetTcpBinding();

binding.TransferMode = TransferMode.Buffered;

EndpointAddress addr = new EndpointAddress("net.tcp://localhost:10000/MyService");

WCFServiceLibrary.IMyService myService = ChannelFactory<WCFServiceLibrary.IMyService>.CreateChannel(binding, addr);

Console.WriteLine("Calling HelloWorld...");

WCFServiceLibrary.MyData m = myService.HelloWorld();

Console.WriteLine(m.sInfo);

Console.WriteLine("OneWay 1...");

myService.OneWay();

Console.WriteLine("OneWay 2...");

myService.OneWay();

myService = null;

Console.WriteLine("Closed...");

how can i close the session from the client?  Normally i do this when i use a proxy, i call the proxy.close method.  but this doesn't work on my myService instance.  So how can i make sure i can close the session?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:31 PM

Answers

• 1) I think you want tcpBinding.ReliableSession.Enabled = false (the .Enabled property is read-write).

2) cast to IClientChannel "((IClientChannel)myService).Close()"

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:38 PM
  • True... Actually, the class of the object returned from ChannelFactory.CreateChannel() implements it. In other words this is in the WCF framework itself (e.g. System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel class). 

So I would say it like this: if you want to access the channel, access the object returned by ChannelFactory.CreateChannel() via an IClientChannel interface.

Makes sense?

Cheers,

Buddhike

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:01 AM
  • Indeed; under the hood, WCF returns an object from CreateChannel that uses RealProxy/CLR magic to be able to cast to both your contract interface type (the T in ChannelFactory<T>) as well as the WCF IClientChannel type.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:35 AM
  • The ChannelFactory sample docs this:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms751400.aspx

It's unfortunate to not see it doc'd here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms576132.aspx

...I'll point that out to our docs guys.  Thanks for the input.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:39 AM

All replies

• 1) I think you want tcpBinding.ReliableSession.Enabled = false (the .Enabled property is read-write).

2) cast to IClientChannel "((IClientChannel)myService).Close()"

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:38 PM
  • thx for the answers, about the second answer.  I can't test it out right now on this pc, but how does it come that i can cast my 'myService' to IClientChannel. 

The create channel factory creates me an instance of WCFServiceLibrary.IMyService and this interface doesn't implement the IClientChannel. 

kind regards

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:31 AM
  • True... Actually, the class of the object returned from ChannelFactory.CreateChannel() implements it. In other words this is in the WCF framework itself (e.g. System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel class). 

So I would say it like this: if you want to access the channel, access the object returned by ChannelFactory.CreateChannel() via an IClientChannel interface.

Makes sense?

Cheers,

Buddhike

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:01 AM
  • Indeed; under the hood, WCF returns an object from CreateChannel that uses RealProxy/CLR magic to be able to cast to both your contract interface type (the T in ChannelFactory<T>) as well as the WCF IClientChannel type.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:35 AM
  • ok, thx guys for clearing this up for me, is that 'magic' documented Smile Because that's something i would never had guessed, i really tought the CreateChannel would return an object that only implements my contract interface, nothing else.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:30 AM
  • The ChannelFactory sample docs this:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms751400.aspx

It's unfortunate to not see it doc'd here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms576132.aspx

...I'll point that out to our docs guys.  Thanks for the input.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:39 AM