How can you index calender list start date? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large list of events in one of my calendars and one of the main views I use is to display only the next 10 items on the list based on the start date. (Begin is less than ro equal to [Today]+30 And Being is greater than [Today] and limit 10 items to display. This taking longer and longer as the amount of events have been added to the calendar. I was hoping to index the Start Date (Begin) but it does not show up in thel ist of columns I can index. Is it possible to index the start date? Can someone suggest a better method?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hello Scott T,

It sounds like you followed the advice in this blog - http://www.endusersharepoint.com/2010/03/24/filter-by-events-this-week-in-a-sharepoint-calendar/.

This is a great tip, but as the number of items increases the filter will take longer to process because it checks every itme before rendering.

Unfortunately you cannot index the Calendar start time or end time, this is a short coming in the API. 

Try this - add a pre filter to reduce the number of items being processed, the pre-filter would be something like "Begin - Is greater than - 01/01/2011"

This filter will eliminate the processing of events that cannot be the "the next 10 items".

I hope that helps!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - MCC 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:35 PM