none
Is there a way to save the current accdb file as accde with VBA? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to automate the deployment of my application. I'd like to be able to save the current project as an ACCDE file with VBA. Is this possible?

The rest is pretty automated, but this would be a huge help!
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not to my knowledge.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:02 AM
  • What do you mean with "with VBA"?

Accde files are compiled Accdb files. They can certainly contain VBA code but (as the word suggests) it is compiled (into P-code) and no longer readable by humans.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Hi. Although the command was available, I got this error when I tried it.

error

I'll keep looking...

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:40 AM
  • Hold down the Shift key while opening the database.

You're not trying to write VBA code to convert to MDE, are you?

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:27 AM
  • I have Access 2016 for developing, Runtime deployment and a SQL Server backend.

What I am doing:
    With my master file open in accdb format. Instead of going to File>SaveAs>Make ACCDE . I was wanting to do this in code because I am trying to include it as a step in some new automation code I am writing to publish new updates to the users. I have about 30 users. When the user application loads, it checks if current version is up to date, if not a batch file deletes their file, and replaces it from a file in a shared folder on the network.

To deploy an update myself, I have to create the user file, save the current version of design master and user version in backup folders, delete the shared copy and replace it with the new user file. I'm writing some code to do this because it is so tedious. I wanted to include the creation of the accdb file to an accde file if possible. Then, I can deploy with the click of 1 button potentially.. Might need the help of a batch file because the application reloads when ACCDE file is created I believe. Perhaps that is why its hard to do this in code? Because it's trying to compile the file to an EXE. Hmmm. Just had a thought, is there a way to copy the file, and create an ACCDE file on the copy(while it is closed?) then I can rename it with code.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Sadly, it's not included as one of the available options.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:04 PM