Client Side Hardware Logical Access RRS feed

• Question

• User-1606890983 posted

Hi there,

Is it possible to access the windows file system, or lets say the hardware of the client side computer using an aspx web site.

I don't know how the cookies are implemented and neither am I interested as of now.

But my application requires me to access the Client Side Hardware (USB based RFID Readers to be precise), so that we can map that reader with the setting in the db saved on the server and manage logical access to the web site.

In this case the access to the site will be dependent on 3 parameters.

UserId, Password and the Smart Card Reader Unique Id.

I know how to take the Unique Id of the smart card reader using a desktop application, but am unable to access it using a web app.

Maybe something in activeX or something.

Please do let me know if any ones knows how to make this happen.

Thanks in Advance

Vinkle

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:11 AM

Answers

• User1716267170 posted

Hi vinklesandrock,

Is it possible to access the windows file system, or lets say the hardware of the client side computer using an aspx web site.

The ASP.NET application is definitely disabled by accessing the client's file system.

However, if you really want to do so, it's recommended to consider some rich client approach. You can use a rich Windows Form application in client(but it's not suitable to your requirements) or ActiveX plug-in. I'm not experienced in writing ActiveX plug-in, you could do a research on MSDN for more details.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:44 AM

All replies

• User1716267170 posted

Hi vinklesandrock,

The ASP.NET application is definitely disabled by accessing the client's file system.

However, if you really want to do so, it's recommended to consider some rich client approach. You can use a rich Windows Form application in client(but it's not suitable to your requirements) or ActiveX plug-in. I'm not experienced in writing ActiveX plug-in, you could do a research on MSDN for more details.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:44 AM
  • User-1606890983 posted

What about the Microsoft Windows Card Space.

Does any one have any idea about that.

Can that thingy come any handy in this?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:34 AM
  • User1716267170 posted

Hi vinklesandrock,

I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with Windows Card Space. Here's a useful article about that, please check it: http://wiki.asp.net/page.aspx/105/windows-card-space/

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:38 AM