none
What happen when installin .NET4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have .NET 3.5 installed om my computer. Now I need to install .NET4 as well (side-by-side with 3.5).

What will happen with all my existing applications that runs on 3.5 right now, will they start using .NET 4 or will they stick to 3.5.

I need to be 100% sure that the existing application DOES NOT use .NET4. Can I be that sure?

Best regards

Henrik

Friday, September 9, 2011 7:55 AM

Answers

• You can rest easy. Your existing apps that use .NET Framework 3.5 will not even know that .NET Framework 4.0 is installed. Only applications designed to target .NET Framework 4.0 will see and use it.

Further, .NET Framework 4.0 IS NOT an extension of .NET Framework 2.0! It is a SEPARATE and INDEPENDENT FULL framework that will install and work independently of .NET Framework 2.0 + extensions 3.0 and 3.5.

• Proposed as answer by Dylan-Meeus Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew.WuModerator Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:35 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Yes like the above comments mention, your applications won't be affected by it.
    But when using Visual Studio 2010 the standard .NET framework targetted will be 4.0 for your future projects.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:07 AM

All replies

• Yes the your applications  which targets (uses ) .net framework 3.5 will not use components of .net framework 4.

One thing to keep in mind that .net framework 3 , 3.5 and 4 all are the extension of .net framework 2 so you can say that .net framework 3 , 3.5 and 4 are all the same as .net framework 2 with more features and stability.

Please mark those posts as answer which answers your question. Faraz
    Friday, September 9, 2011 11:43 AM
  • You can rest easy. Your existing apps that use .NET Framework 3.5 will not even know that .NET Framework 4.0 is installed. Only applications designed to target .NET Framework 4.0 will see and use it.

Further, .NET Framework 4.0 IS NOT an extension of .NET Framework 2.0! It is a SEPARATE and INDEPENDENT FULL framework that will install and work independently of .NET Framework 2.0 + extensions 3.0 and 3.5.

• Proposed as answer by Dylan-Meeus Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew.WuModerator Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:35 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Yes like the above comments mention, your applications won't be affected by it.
    But when using Visual Studio 2010 the standard .NET framework targetted will be 4.0 for your future projects.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:07 AM