Dual Booting, Pre-Installation Back Up...?

Question

• Hi,

As I have one computer, I wish to install Windows 8 DP without tools on a second partition. In terms of back up/recovery tools, I have Acer Recovery Partition, Acer Recovery Disks, iBoot and Slitaz/Ubuntu Live CDs. My laptop did not come with a Windows 7 installation disk however, I was trying to burn a Windows PE Disk so that I could you that as a substitute for recovery purposes however the Windows Disc Image Burner will not burn it. I have also backed up my boot configuration with EasyBCD. Is there anything else I should back up beforehand...? I considered my files however pretty much all my files is, is games+some movies/tv shows. I'm cautious as somehow last time I decided to change things partition wise (I changed one partition to HSF+ Apple style), I ended up with a laptop refusing to boot, which somehow fixed itself. Anyway so anything else I should know/back up? Oh and for dual booting I want the target partition for installing to be Unallocated space right, and let Win 8 Setup format?
    Thanks.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:28 AM

Answers

• In most cases, having a Windows 7 installation disk should be enough. I guess one of the Acer Recovery Disk is a customized Windows 7 installation disk. There is also a Windows 7 Enterprise Trial available directly from Microsoft. I guess that they distribute it as an ISO so you can burn it to a DVD. Basically, in most cases, you will need that disk just to restore your Windows 7 boot manager so you can boot it in case you experience some difficulties.

During install of Widnows 8, you need to choose Custom installation mode (not Upgrade) and select an Unallocated space. In case you need, you can also install to an existing partition which you can reformat from the Windows 8 Setup as well.

If you have just Windows 7 on your laptop at this time, you are unlikely to experience something strange. If you have Windows XP or Ubuntu there, you might loss access to that systems as Windows 8 boot manager might refuse to show/boot them. If that is the case, you will need to use another boot manager than the Windows 8 Developer Preview one after you install the preview.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:44 AM
  • It does not matter when you format that space - whether before setup or inside setup.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:28 AM

All replies

• In most cases, having a Windows 7 installation disk should be enough. I guess one of the Acer Recovery Disk is a customized Windows 7 installation disk. There is also a Windows 7 Enterprise Trial available directly from Microsoft. I guess that they distribute it as an ISO so you can burn it to a DVD. Basically, in most cases, you will need that disk just to restore your Windows 7 boot manager so you can boot it in case you experience some difficulties.

During install of Widnows 8, you need to choose Custom installation mode (not Upgrade) and select an Unallocated space. In case you need, you can also install to an existing partition which you can reformat from the Windows 8 Setup as well.

If you have just Windows 7 on your laptop at this time, you are unlikely to experience something strange. If you have Windows XP or Ubuntu there, you might loss access to that systems as Windows 8 boot manager might refuse to show/boot them. If that is the case, you will need to use another boot manager than the Windows 8 Developer Preview one after you install the preview.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Eh, I found that the Acer Recovery Disk's seemed very limited. They give to options, restore or fresh install, if I remember right. However it is spread over 4 DVDs so I think it is full Windows 7 Install. My partitions are currently as follow:
    -12.7GB Recovery Partition, 100MB SYSTEM Partiton, Win 7 352.97 GB, 100GB Free Space.

So just leave the free space as it is? Or turn it into a NTFS Volume like this guide says (http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/).

Thanks

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:14 AM
  • It does not matter when you format that space - whether before setup or inside setup.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:28 AM
  • I have another question.... I formatted it as that guide suggests, however unlike the guide instead of being a 'Primary Partition', it is 'Logical Drive'. I think that is due to it being the 4th partition? I am unsure. Can I still install Win 8 DP on that fine?
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Yes, the disc might contain only three primary partitions. The rest must be extended (logical) partitions.

If the Windows setup allow you to do so, you would be save.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:21 AM