I have installed the developer preview on my HP Pavilion dv6 1340sf,and after the first update it crashes at startup

Question

• After the first update of the windows 8 developer preview my laptop didn't load ther windows..

i have started the "startup repair" service...but no answer ..

i have tried to reinstall the windows 7 and after choosing the language and keyboard language a sign apperar on the screen "Starting installation"....and nothing happends.

please help me find a way to restore back my pc.

Thanks.

Gabe

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Gabriel.IoM,

it could be a bad download or a bad burn. Have you downloaded WDP from the MS site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx ? If you have chosen the correct drive to install WDP on, its unlikely that you have formatted the other drives on your HDD. You have the option either to repair/ reinstall WDP on the same drive you previously installed it on after putting the bootable WDP disk in your CD/DVD drive. I think you have simply lost the Windows7 installation in the WDP boot manager, not from your hard drive. If you are not adept at bcdedit, you can download and install a free third party application EasyBCD, run it, add Windows7 to your boot menu, if it isn't there. Restart to see if Windows7 is seen in your boot menu now.

Irfan
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:30 PM

All replies

• Were you dual booting with Windows 7?
    Are you trying to repair the Windows Developer Preview installation?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?
    If so, you can try a System Restore of the operating system to before you installed the update.
    You can type in System Restore and follow the steps or you can type in System, then go to System Protection tab, click on System Restore.

Then choose a restore point that was made before you installed the Windows Update.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Yes.I was.

But for some reason all my hard drive has been formatted (i guess,because i can't get access at all and i can't find my backup disc either)

I have tryed the system restore,but it freezes,and after a few minutes re-booting.

I can't find the restore point either.

Gabe

Gabriel,IoM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Hello Gabe,

Do you get to choose between the operating system to boot up?

If you can boot into Windows Developer Preview, you can try and do a refresh or reset of the PC.

You can try and Reset your PC and start over. However, you will need to backup your system before starting this option if you want to restore data. You will have to reinstall applications from original media.
    This option will permanently remove your personal files and apps for you PC and restore all settings to their defaults. This option is equivalent to returning a PC back to the factory defaults.

Let us know if this is a possibility or if you need further troubleshooting.

Marilyn
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 6:55 PM
  • @ Marilyn-Support Engineer - Windows Expert1
     Avatar of Marilyn-Support Engineer

I have installed Windows 8 Developer Preview on a HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC. I wanted to know that they are some problems:

- HP Drivers are gone

- Fingerprint reader has stopped working

- No HP Programs are saved

- All the programs are uninstalled

Regards,

Windows Expert1

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:58 AM
  • I have installed Windows 8 Developer Preview on a HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC. I wanted to know that they are some problems:

- HP Drivers are gone

- Fingerprint reader has stopped working

- No HP Programs are saved

- All the programs are uninstalled

Regards,

Windows Expert1

For your issue with drivers , try follow steps about troubleshoot compatibility :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/troubleshoot-compatibility-issues-in-windows-8-developer-preview.aspx

How did you installed Windows 8? Did you install it as multiboot or install it by upgrade your older version of Windows?

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hi Gabriel.IoM,

it could be a bad download or a bad burn. Have you downloaded WDP from the MS site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx ? If you have chosen the correct drive to install WDP on, its unlikely that you have formatted the other drives on your HDD. You have the option either to repair/ reinstall WDP on the same drive you previously installed it on after putting the bootable WDP disk in your CD/DVD drive. I think you have simply lost the Windows7 installation in the WDP boot manager, not from your hard drive. If you are not adept at bcdedit, you can download and install a free third party application EasyBCD, run it, add Windows7 to your boot menu, if it isn't there. Restart to see if Windows7 is seen in your boot menu now.

Irfan
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:30 PM