none
Any tutorial/doc of Presence integration between IM Apps and Office 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• Our produce (an IM application) has a component, which is used to integrate with Microsoft office. This component is developed against the docs of Microsoft from this links http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23841 (for office 2007) and http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23841(for office 2010). This component works for Office 2010, unfortunately it does NOT work for 2007. I checked these 2 docs, and found that the differences between 2007 and 2010 are some registry keys/values. After my double-checking, I comfirmed that in our product, the registry keys/values are all right against the the above links.

What a weird thing! Why does it not work in office 2007? We used the same source code for 2007 and 2010.

Anyone encounter the same issue? Can anyone throw me a light?

Is there any tutorial for Presence integration?

Regards,

Eason

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Eason

I'm not familiar with the IM features you're using, but...

If you designed and compiled your application using Office 2010 the problem could be that your project is specifically linked to the Office 2010 PIAs. You can't move a project that references the PIAs of a newer version of Office to work with an older version. It has to go the other way around.

If you open your project on a developer machine with Office 2007 installed, delete the references to Office 2010, re-create them for Office 2007, and compile, publish etc. will the project now work in both versions?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Thanks Cindy for your replying.

What you mean "PIAs"? In my source code, there is no reference to the offce 2010 or office 2007.

Regards,

Eason

Monday, July 30, 2012 1:56 AM
  • In your code, is there not a reference to a type library?

According to this, your software must be using a type library one way or another.

What Cindy's saying is if you reference the Office 2010 (i.e. Office 14, Word 14) type libraries that may be why it's not working with Office 2007 (which ought to be automated with the Office 12 type library/libraries).

Edit: To answer your question, the Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs) are the libraries that facilitate interoperability with MS Office and MS Office applications. If the relevant PIA is installed, you can view its type library with the OLE-COM Object Viewer, a utility that ships with Visual Studio. Microsoft make redistributable versions of the PIAs are freely available.

• Edited by JosephFox Monday, July 30, 2012 10:13 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Thanks JosephFox,

I am using c/c++, unlike .net code, it doesn't reference to any type library of Office.

This module is a COM Server, in which the ***MessengerClassFactory::CreateInstance() is expected to be invoked when the outlook/word starts up.  However, for office 2007, it's NOT invoked.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Do I need install Microsoft office Communicator 2007 to make my IM presence integration work?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:21 AM