Will Deprecated Items Change in SQL Server 2014 RTM?

Question

• Excuse this post if this was asked and answered elsewhere already, a quick search on deprecated items did not turn up anything.

In preparing for the release of SQL Server 2014, I reviewed our DB design looking for things that might be deprecated in SQL Server 2014.  I used a SQL Trace on the DB in SQL Server 2012 r2, and could clearly see some items marked as "final notice" on deprecation warnings.

I downloaded the SQL Server 2014 CTP and used it with our existing DB, installing a version 90 (SQL server 2005) compliant DB from backup, and using our application with it.

Based on what I had been reading about what was supposed to be deprecated in SQL Server 2014, I expected a version 90 DB would not work, and I was expecting issues with certain data types currently in use in our DB (like ntext).  However, everything seems to be working fine.

We cannot expend the resources to perform any updates or re-designs to the DB unless-until we absolutely need to do so.

My question is:  how reliable is the CTP version for deprecation?  If things that were marked as being deprecated in 2014 actually work in the CTP, does that mean they will work in the RTM version?

(NOTE:  yes, I know, there are some things we should update, but as I said, we cannot commit resources to "fixing" something that works).

Thanks in advance.

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:01 PM

Answers

• There are a few things that are working in the CTP which may be disallowed in the final version. The deprecation work is often one of the last things we do.

It's also true that sometimes deprecation doesn't actually stop things from working. It can mean that we stopped testing some old stuff for interoperability with the new stuff, and it's no longer a supported configuration. For example: "Replication is supported if each SQL Server endpoint is within two major versions of the current version of SQL Server. Consequently, SQL Server 2014 does not support replication to or from SQL Server 2005." That doesn't mean we went out of our way to block it. But it's certainly not recommended.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

• Proposed as answer by Rick Byham, Microsoft Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by CBar Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:49 PM

All replies

• There are a few things that are working in the CTP which may be disallowed in the final version. The deprecation work is often one of the last things we do.

It's also true that sometimes deprecation doesn't actually stop things from working. It can mean that we stopped testing some old stuff for interoperability with the new stuff, and it's no longer a supported configuration. For example: "Replication is supported if each SQL Server endpoint is within two major versions of the current version of SQL Server. Consequently, SQL Server 2014 does not support replication to or from SQL Server 2005." That doesn't mean we went out of our way to block it. But it's certainly not recommended.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

• Proposed as answer by Rick Byham, Microsoft Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by CBar Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Thank you, even though that is pretty much exactly what I didn't want to hear.  :-)
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Please share your feedback on Connect that a smooth upgrade experience from SQL 2005 to SQL 2014 is important to you.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:47 PM