WCF Data Services and .NET 1.1 or ASP.NET 1.1 RRS feed

• General discussion

• In my recent project i have a requirement to communicate with an ADO.NET /WCF Data Service through the REST based calls.

The client platform in .NET 1.1, as you know .NET 1.1 have limited set of support with latest technologies like WCF Data Services. The data is been published as ATOM/RSS formatted xml.

I was wondering how i can implement it. I was been able to make Authenticate token request, GET requests using HTTPWebRequest class. But now i am confused on how to post the data and how to frame all the input things. Since the WCF Data Services xml request has lots of xml name name spaces in it. Custom building through appending to string bulder or xmltext etc would be trouble some and time taking.

Any ideas to help me would be welcomed gladly..

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi

You should definitely use some XML library to process the ATOM. In .NET 1.1 you have the option of XmlReader/XmlWriter for streaming access and XmlDocument for in-memory cache (DOM). Please don't use string concatenation to create XML, it usually leads to all kind of errors and troubles.

Other than the XML help I'm afraid there's not much more in .NET 1.1 which will help you. The ATOM part and the OData specific parts you will have to parse and construct yourself.

Thanks,

Vitek Karas [MSFT]
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:24 AM