VS 2005 Release Candidate Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to install the release candidate of VS 2005 on a 64-bit machine.  The OS is Windows Server 2003 EE / SP1 and it's running an Itanium 2 processor.  During the installation prerequisite check, I got this error message:
    Computer does not meet minimum requirements, ect...
              Required prerequisites:
              IA64 blocker
              This product is not supported on this processor

The beta 2 version installed fine on this machine.  I did a clean uninstall of the beta.  Does this mean that VS 2005 is not supported for the Itanium (IA64) processor?  And what is IA64 blocker???
    Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:38 PM

Answers

• That is correct - as of RTM, VS 2005 will no longer install on IA64 machines.
    Thus, we will not support developing applications using VS on Itanium. However the remote debugging components do install on IA64. Thus you can use the Visual Studio IDE on x86/x64 to remote debug into an Itanium process. You can also target Itanium when building applications using the Visual Studio Team Systems SKU installed on an x86/x64 machine.

Thanks,
    Surupa

Friday, September 23, 2005 2:22 AM

All replies

• That is correct - as of RTM, VS 2005 will no longer install on IA64 machines.
    Thus, we will not support developing applications using VS on Itanium. However the remote debugging components do install on IA64. Thus you can use the Visual Studio IDE on x86/x64 to remote debug into an Itanium process. You can also target Itanium when building applications using the Visual Studio Team Systems SKU installed on an x86/x64 machine.

Thanks,
    Surupa

Friday, September 23, 2005 2:22 AM
  • Bad new, this worked well on beta  is and now removed
    Friday, September 30, 2005 12:27 PM
  • Is information regarding future support for IA64 available, i.e. will it come back in a maintenance release?  The beta2 IA64 functionality worked well and the capability is sorely missed.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:07 PM
  • Since the IA64 system appears to run x86 IA32 software quite well, why not allow VS 2005 to be installed as an IA32 app, then cross compile to IA64 for running natively?

--

RDS

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:36 PM