Adding a login RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a small network with Server 2008 Web R2 on the server and Windows 7 on the PCs. They are all connected to a Linksys router that is setup with dhcp enabled. When I view the network map on PCs or Server I can see everything that should be on the network. However, when I try to add a login within SQL Server 2008 R2 on the server to allow PCs on the network to access the database the only thing that is available is the Server. I want to use Windows Authentication as the connection method to the SQL database.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:07 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the advice/input.  Ultimately I feel that we just need to get our network setup correctly to start with. 
    • Marked as answer by Bob Nona Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:28 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:28 PM

All replies

• You have to be in active directory to use remote windows authentication on sql server. Otherwise, only local connection are possible with windows authentication

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Here is the current situation.  The Windows 2008 Server machine sees my computer via the network.  I can click on my computer in on the server, it asks for user id and password and when I enter those, I can see my shared drives from my machine on the server.  Now when I try go to SQL Server 2008 R2 and I go to add a Security Login to my client machine, I press the Locations button, but the only Location I get is the server.  I don't see my client machine.  Is this related to AD?
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Hi Bob,

I think I am getting your requirement right here ,

In most cases you have to stick on to using SQL server authentication specifying user name and password if you are on the non-domain environment . You cannot use integrated authentication as it reuqires trust from the remote machine connecting to your SQL machine , so you will get a 18542 error in SQL server when you use windows authentication in your connection from remote mahcine.Having said that you can use one other method to use integrated security in workgroup environment and that is not working on TCP/IP and kerberos concepts but with named pipes and NTLM. You can create a local windows account on both machines with the same user name and password and then force your connection string to use that windows account in remote connection to use integrated security to connect to SQL server machine ( which will also have the same username) .This method is mostly not reliable.

I did try this some time back when SQL serve 2008 ctp was introduced and played within my VMs , not sure it will work for you. Have a try!

Thanks, Leks
    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Thanks for the advice/input.  Ultimately I feel that we just need to get our network setup correctly to start with. 
    • Marked as answer by Bob Nona Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:28 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:28 PM