none
Multiple Azure Function Projects - One Deployment into One Function App Service RRS feed

• Question

• This was easy with an app service project and multiple attached web job projects.  

Having separate web job projects allowed for easy development and debugging.

Azure Functions are great.  However, it was proving difficult to quickly work on one function when all functions were in the same project. 

I separated them into individual function project.  However, now, one deployment overwrites the other.

Is there a way to register external functions from external assemblies in another function project so they can be debugged together?  If so then this may allow for all to be deployed together.

Is there a way to combine multiple separate Azure Function projects into one unit of deployment?  In Visual Studio would be best.  

Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

VS will by default overwrite your code because the value shown here is checked. You could uncheck the option but you may run into unexpected errors deploying pieces of the function to one function app. The recommend way is to deploy everything as one package.

Friday, January 11, 2019 12:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

VS will by default overwrite your code because the value shown here is checked. You could uncheck the option but you may run into unexpected errors deploying pieces of the function to one function app. The recommend way is to deploy everything as one package.

Friday, January 11, 2019 12:52 AM
  • Hey Jeff - any updates on this?
    Saturday, January 12, 2019 10:22 PM
  • I appreciate the response, Jeremy.  I wish functions were as composable as WebJobs but I will see what I can do with separating things out with abstractions.  It is nice to have all of the dependencies established for the run time deployment.  Thank again!
    • Edited by JEFFWS Monday, January 14, 2019 4:09 AM
    Monday, January 14, 2019 4:09 AM
  • I'm going to second the need for an ability to publish multiple projects to the same Functions App Service. Besides being convenient, there's a large cost associated with running multiple Functions apps when not using the consumption-based pricing plan. In my case, I have a function app that needs to access a private database behind an Azure VPN. I can't connect the two using consumption-based pricing, so I either have to combine unrelated functions into one project or pay for multiple app services that are all underutilized just to connect to the VPN.

WebJobs has this already figured out and I'm surprised that model wasn't the default when Functions was built. This missing functionality is really holding us back from migrating some WebJobs to Functions.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 3:23 PM
  • Hi Brian,

You can deploy multiple web apps to the same app service plan when using the dedicated plan, so you can utilize the same instance therefore not being billed extra. Billing for the Basic and above tiers is based on the number of instances used. 

You can provide feedback here if i didn't properly address your concern : https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:47 AM