Contact Picker extension not showing up in the People App

Question

• I created a Windows app, and added a declaration saying it is a Contact Picker extension. I deployed it and can see the app in the list of apps on the start screen. However, I don't see this application in the People app. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro.

1. Is there any OS wide setting to display the extensions like contact picker?

2. Should I complete all the properties of this extension to make it work? Please see image below:

Picture below: People App not showing the contact picker extension.

Any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:01 PM

Answers

• I can see the image you posted here (I don't own that book), but I do not see that page in the People app. I suspect it depicts an old version of the app and not the current one. I can't find anywhere in the current People app where it brings up a contact picker.

The people app acts as a contact source, not a contact consumer.

--Rob

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:24 AM
    Owner
  • I think I have found where the disconnect was. The picture from Indrajit's book was correct. But have to follow a different path to reach there.

Here is how you can see both contact pickers:

1. Create a ContactPicker as a source.
    2. Create a ContactPicker as a target.
    3. Run the source ContactPicker. The default contact picker (target ContactPicker that I created in my case) will come up. Next to the app will be drop down where the People App also can be seen.
    4. Change the target to the People App, the target Contact picker just created will be changed to the People app which will become the new contact picker.

Hope this will help any one.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:26 PM

All replies

• I am not sure if the people app will pick up on this since it operates via accounts (facebook, etc). Is there a sample that shows this functionality that you're asking for?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:01 PM
  • the people app isnt going to pick it up for sure. just thee contact picker (it opens if you click on the to label for instance when writing aa mail). you cant be a content provider for the people app.

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:29 PM
  • The following quote is from Indrajit's book. I was confused by a picture in the same book where there is a drop down below People shows two extensions to select from.

When a Windows Store app provides the user with an option to select one or more contacts, an app that is registered with Windows as a contact information provider is launched as an app embedded within the Windows Store app. The user has the option to choose either your app or the People app in Windows as the contact picker source, as shown in Figure 2-3 .

Chakrabarty, Indrajit (2013-07-10). Exam Ref 70-484: Essentials of Developing Windows Store Apps Using C# (Kindle Locations 1813-1815). Microsoft Press. Kindle Edition.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:11 PM
  • yes but in here you see the contact picker; your app can stand in that list when you implement the contact picker?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:17 PM
  • In the declaration section of the application manifest, I have contact picker as an extension. I deployed my app and can see on the start screen. But I don't see under the People in the People app.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Does your contact picker extension show up in the Contact Picker app sample? It's generally easier to debug things if you simplify the scenario by controlling both ends.

Is the picture you include from Chakrabarty's book current? I don't see a page quite like that with a Contact Picker in the current People app, but I may just not be finding it.

--Rob

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:00 PM
    Owner
  • Please give me some time to answer your first qn.

You can see the image in the kindle version of Chakrabarty's book as Figure 2-2.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:09 PM
  • I can see the image you posted here (I don't own that book), but I do not see that page in the People app. I suspect it depicts an old version of the app and not the current one. I can't find anywhere in the current People app where it brings up a contact picker.

The people app acts as a contact source, not a contact consumer.

--Rob

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:24 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob. I will let Indrajit know about this errata.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:24 PM
  • I think I have found where the disconnect was. The picture from Indrajit's book was correct. But have to follow a different path to reach there.

Here is how you can see both contact pickers:

1. Create a ContactPicker as a source.
    2. Create a ContactPicker as a target.
    3. Run the source ContactPicker. The default contact picker (target ContactPicker that I created in my case) will come up. Next to the app will be drop down where the People App also can be seen.
    4. Change the target to the People App, the target Contact picker just created will be changed to the People app which will become the new contact picker.

Hope this will help any one.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:26 PM