none
In my wit's ends with Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I have a database in Microsoft Access. Out of the blue, it showed a dialogue window when I tried to open it 8 days ago saying that a VBA Project must be deleted so I could use the database and that I should backup my database before attempting to open it. I followed the window instruction but now both the backup and the database are damaged. I freaked out and started looking for solutions. One of those is this:

access-2010-vb-crashes- db-when- vb-is- opened

It didn't worked... the Microsoft Office official website says that a SP1 must be installed to correct this particular issue. I tried this solution but it didn’t work. Now the database says: "the visual basic for applications in the database is corrupt"

Please tell me what to do, I'm really desperate because I have 2 years of data in there and I'm about to throw some holy water on my computer because I don't know what else to do!

I'll be expecting your kind support, thanks!

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:44 PM

Answers

• Try creating a new, empty database.  Then try to import the objects from your backup database to the new one.  However, do not try to do everything all at once.  Import each object group one at a time, starting with tables, then queries, then forms, then reports, then macros, then modules.  If you're really lucky, everything will import without issue.  Post back with your progress...
    • Marked as answer by Tatistus Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:50 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 9:58 PM
  • No, your a little off in your understanding.

1. You need to create a new database, an empty one.
    2. From there, you will select the tab item External Data>Access.  The Get External Data - Access Database dialog will be displayed.
    3. Click the [Browse] button to locate your backup database and specify it as the source for your import.
    4. Under the section: Specify how and where you want to store the data in the current database, ensure that the first option is selected.  It should be selected by default.
    5. Click the button [OK].  The Import Objects dialog will be displayed.
    6. In the Import Object dialog, in the first tab - Tables, click the button [Select All], then click the button [OK].

Repeat steps 2 through 6, selecting the next tab in the Import Objects dialog each time until each object group has been imported into your new database.

In performing this procedure, you may be lucky enough to recover all of your objects, or at least most of them.  If the procedure fails during the import of any particular object group, you will have at the minimum determined what became corrupted.  There may be other options to recover a particular object group in that event.

• Edited by RunningManHD Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:06 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:03 PM

All replies

• Try creating a new, empty database.  Then try to import the objects from your backup database to the new one.  However, do not try to do everything all at once.  Import each object group one at a time, starting with tables, then queries, then forms, then reports, then macros, then modules.  If you're really lucky, everything will import without issue.  Post back with your progress...
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Hi,

If importing your object to an empty database does not work, you could try some third-party repair software available for a fee. If you feel comfortable enough, you can email me your database, and I can try to recover it for you.

Just a thought...

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:16 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, I'll definetely try it! Please keep in mind that I'm close to be "technology impaired", so please let me see if I understood correctly:

1. Open a new access database, an empty one.

2. Open my old database and right click on each item that appears in the column of the left side of the screen

3. Click on Export and, well, export it to the new blank database, item by item

Is it how it works? I'll appreciate your kind guidance!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Thanks for replying! I'll keep this option as my last resort since I have sensitive info there.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:41 PM
  • No, your a little off in your understanding.

1. You need to create a new database, an empty one.
    2. From there, you will select the tab item External Data>Access.  The Get External Data - Access Database dialog will be displayed.
    3. Click the [Browse] button to locate your backup database and specify it as the source for your import.
    4. Under the section: Specify how and where you want to store the data in the current database, ensure that the first option is selected.  It should be selected by default.
    5. Click the button [OK].  The Import Objects dialog will be displayed.
    6. In the Import Object dialog, in the first tab - Tables, click the button [Select All], then click the button [OK].

Repeat steps 2 through 6, selecting the next tab in the Import Objects dialog each time until each object group has been imported into your new database.

In performing this procedure, you may be lucky enough to recover all of your objects, or at least most of them.  If the procedure fails during the import of any particular object group, you will have at the minimum determined what became corrupted.  There may be other options to recover a particular object group in that event.

• Edited by RunningManHD Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:06 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:03 PM
  • You're an Access Magician! Thanks a million!!! I was about to slam my computer with a hammer, but your solution worked like a charm. All my data is safe now! Again, thank you very much!
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:53 PM
  • You're an Access Magician! Thanks a million!!! I was about to slam my computer with a hammer, but your solution worked like a charm. All my data is safe now! Again, thank you very much!

Glad it worked out for you.  Now be sure to back up your database regularly by making copies.  It would also be a good idea if you split your database into a front-end and back-end system.  The front-end will store your user interface objects and the back-end houses your actual data.  The back-end is then linked to the front-end.  This will help in preventing corruption to your database and your data will remain intact if something does get corrupted in the user interface.

There is a wizard for splitting the database found under the tab Database Tools>Access Database.  Just follow the instructions from there... 

Best of luck!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:32 PM