Executing a file on a Mobile Phone from a web page created with ASP.NET RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to know if someone can help me with the following:

We have an asp.net page displayed on IE on windows mobile 6 on a mobile phone. We need to somehow launch an application on the mobile's operating system clientside.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:40 AM

Answers

• This isn't ASP.Net security. This is device side security. Whether we are talking about a mobile device or a desktop, Windows, or some other operating system  allowing an arbitrary web page to launch a program is considered a security problem. So by design browsers isolate a web page from a lot of local resource and information. As I mentioned above if you want to be able to invoke such an action you will need to make an ActiveX control that will perform the action you need and install that on the device.

It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:43 AM

All replies

• Can't do that. That would constitute a huge security problem if programs on a user's phone could be arbitrarily launced from them navigating to a page.

If you wanted to do something like this you would need to create an ActiveX control, deploy it to the phone, and then use your ActiveX control to launch programs. But you won't find this functionality on a phone out of the box.

It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:37 AM
  • The application we are trying to launch is a custom application, being launched from our custom ASP.NET mobi site. There is no security risk because our site/app is going to be accessed from a mobile phone that we control, i.e. we know which software is going to be on there, exactly who is going to be using the device, etc.

Is it not possible to somehow override the default ASP.NET security configuration to allow us to do this?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:52 AM
  • This isn't ASP.Net security. This is device side security. Whether we are talking about a mobile device or a desktop, Windows, or some other operating system  allowing an arbitrary web page to launch a program is considered a security problem. So by design browsers isolate a web page from a lot of local resource and information. As I mentioned above if you want to be able to invoke such an action you will need to make an ActiveX control that will perform the action you need and install that on the device.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:43 AM