Setting printer driver default settings RRS feed

• Question

• I have a label printer with the driver loaded with the settings in the driver set I can print the exact label that I want, I have the problem that I need to set the default settings in the driver when the software starts. there are 6 of these printers and the only problem we have found is that different operators like to change the settings.

What I need to do is to set the following commands in the driver so each time the system is started (daily) it loads the settings and works properly.

I need to set

Custom Commands Text, Start, Parsed Text

In the Advanced Setup, turn on use printer settings

Other settings would be usfull but as I cannot set these I do not think I will be able to set others.

I can currently set some of the commands eg,

DefaultPageSettings.PrinterSettings.Copies=2

Regards

Glenn

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:00 AM

Answers

• Hello Gyzmo,

I've no knowledge of current Label printers, but in my memory they have always special settings. 

Try the website of the vendor of that label printer. 

In past you could always make a simple batch file which you can start in VB with Process Start. 

Look here at some samples of that on our website.

http://www.vb-tips.com/StartProcess.aspx

Success
    Cor

• Proposed as answer by Mike Feng Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Feng Tuesday, May 8, 2012 5:52 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Just as a final entry for this I have the commands and printer working using the pass through option and it looks to be working fine, Thanks for your assistance.

Glenn

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:18 AM

All replies

• Hello Gyzmo,

I've no knowledge of current Label printers, but in my memory they have always special settings. 

Try the website of the vendor of that label printer. 

In past you could always make a simple batch file which you can start in VB with Process Start. 

Look here at some samples of that on our website.

http://www.vb-tips.com/StartProcess.aspx

Success
    Cor

• Proposed as answer by Mike Feng Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Thanks Cor,

It will be a way I can get around the problem.

I will inverstigate the idea of passing the settings through to the printer the trouble comes in when the the driver sends its settings to the printer and overrides my settings.

What I wanted to do is to set the settings in the driver so as to be the same as what I send to the printer this way the settings do not get changed either way.

I have attached an image of the settings I am talking about.

The system is used in a shopping centre promotion and has many operators during the day, this is where the settings get changed, I want to stop them from changing them or at least over write the settings each time so it works properly.

I thought there may be a way of requesting the settings based on the driver or a standard set of commands that I could use, the other one I will followup on is to contact the supplier and see if they can help.

thanks again.

Glenn

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Just as a final entry for this I have the commands and printer working using the pass through option and it looks to be working fine, Thanks for your assistance.

Glenn

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:18 AM