Email Distribution via VB.NET RRS feed

• Question

• User475570419 posted

Hello,

I know you can send email to an address in vb.net.   Can you send an email to a email distribution group from an AD server?

Thank you,

Bob

Thursday, June 7, 2018 6:48 PM

Answers

• User475570419 posted

I got it fixed.  It had to do with AD and Exchange.   The main issue was Exchange.  There was a setting about allowing unverified accounts.  It was not allowed.  Our Exchange admin, set it to allow and the Email Distribution started working. Thank you for everyone who responded.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2018 7:11 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Sending your message to the mail address of this group should work. Have you tried ?

Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:06 PM
  • User1724605321 posted

Hi Nighthaw,

You distribution group has a mail address which you should be fine to use it via SMTP :

http://csharp.net-informations.com/communications/csharp-smtp-mail.htm 

If that not work , please provide code sample or more explanation about your problem .

Best Regards,

Nan Yu

Friday, June 8, 2018 7:47 AM
  • User475570419 posted

Yes, I have tried it. 

Friday, June 8, 2018 11:29 AM
  • User475570419 posted

Hello,

This is the code I am using.  It is vb.net code

oMessage1.IsBodyHtml = True
                oMessage1.Priority = MailPriority.High
                oMessage1.From = New Net.Mail.MailAddress("Transportation@pcsonet.com")
                oMessage1.To.Add(New Net.Mail.MailAddress("TransportationAlerts@pcsonet.com"))

Friday, June 8, 2018 11:34 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Ok and so what happens ???

The principle of a distribution list is to just send a mail that is received and processed as usual by the mail server. It can then see it is actually the mail address for a group, check which members are part of this group and forward the mail to those members.

On the client side I don't expect you have anything special to know. You are just sending a mail to a mail address "as usual".

When showing some code that "doesn't work" please always tell what happens. If you don't have any error (and don't hide exceptions) it should be rather a problem on the mail server side.

Edit: or if SmtpClient.Send doesn't fail it could be also that you forgot mail settings are configured to save mail messages in a folder rather than to really send them to your lmail server ???

Friday, June 8, 2018 11:52 AM
  • User475570419 posted

It says the email was sent successfully, but no one in the distribution group receives it.  I know email distribution email works. I have tested it in Outlook.

Friday, June 8, 2018 12:19 PM
  • User753101303 posted

And you checked SMTP settings to make sure it is really sent to the mail server rather than stored in a folder as shown at https://weblogs.asp.net/gunnarpeipman/asp-net-using-pickup-directory-for-outgoing-e-mails ?

Then the next step would be to check with the mail server admin that should be able to confirm the mail is delivered to the server and hopefully diagnose why it is not forwarded to group members.

It might be something such as your test message being classified as a spam and blocked or maybe a permission issue. You tried with your own credentials and sender address (to be in the same condition than your Outlook test ?)

Friday, June 8, 2018 12:44 PM
  • User475570419 posted

I got it fixed.  It had to do with AD and Exchange.   The main issue was Exchange.  There was a setting about allowing unverified accounts.  It was not allowed.  Our Exchange admin, set it to allow and the Email Distribution started working. Thank you for everyone who responded.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2018 7:11 PM