none
CreateItem (new meeting) always returns success even when resource is already booked RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When i use the createItem SOAP call to create a meeting in Exchange the xml response is always a success. Even if the resource has already been booked. In my application the xml response contains success (im assuming due to the fact that the request arrived at its destination) but then i get an email in my Outlook Desktop client saying that the booking failed.

How can i extract whether the meeting booking was a success or failure from the soap response? Do i need to specify something in my request? When i say failure i mean the resource is already booked.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:38 PM

All replies

• If this is a Meeting Room Mailbox that has AutoAccept enabled then you wouldn't be able to tell because what's being sent after you create the meeting is the calendar request to the Room Mailbox which is then declining it. What you should be doing is in your application before you make the booking is check the Room Mailbox to make sure it's not booked for the time-slot your trying to allocate you could use a Get-UserAvailiblity http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa564001(v=exchg.140).aspx query or just query the Room's calendar directly if you have rights.

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:17 AM
  • The problem i have is that users could also be booking meeting rooms through the Outlook Desktop client so i dont have a guarantee , even by checking if the room is already booked in my application that another booking might come in from the Desktop client. Thats why the response from Exchange is important for me

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:49 AM
  • The Response your talking about is sent as a Message from the Meeting Room (or more correctly from the resource booking attendant) so the only way to get that is actually watch the Inbox folder for the response to be received once you have submitted the request. This response you get when you create the Meeting itself will always be success because Exchange, EWS and Outlook don't limit you from creating multiple appointments on the same DateTime. On a Mailbox with AutoAccept its the Booking Attendant that impliments this logic.

Cheers
    Glen

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:22 AM