windows 7 plus windows 8 plus windows xp

Question

• Hi

I would like to adapt a windows 8 store app for windows 7 and/or windows xp.

Is this possible? How?

Monday, April 20, 2015 8:31 PM

Answers

• Windows Store apps do not run on OSes earlier than Windows 8.

Depending on how the app was written it may or may not be easy to port to a desktop app. If you've separated the UI and the business logic well then it shouldn't be hard to convert the UI to WPF. If not then it'll be trickier.

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:19 PM
    Owner
  • Create a WPF app & design your UI in that. You can probably reuse parts of your existing Xaml, but not all of it since WPF doesn't have the Windows Store iconic controls such as Hub and GridView.

Port your code-behind to the WPF app. This may just need copying over since the .Net Framework for Windows Runtime is generally a subset of the .Net Framework, but any Windows Runtime calls will need to be replaced with .Net calls that are available on your target OS.

In general you can comment out code until it builds and then go back through to replace the removed features. Test and repeat until you have completed the port.

If you have specific questions about problem areas then please ask with details. Since you'll be asking about the WPF implementation rather than the Windows Store app implementation you'll be better off asking in the WPF forum.

Monday, April 20, 2015 11:54 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Windows Store apps do not run on OSes earlier than Windows 8.

Depending on how the app was written it may or may not be easy to port to a desktop app. If you've separated the UI and the business logic well then it shouldn't be hard to convert the UI to WPF. If not then it'll be trickier.

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:19 PM
    Owner
  • I have separated the UI and the business logic.I have xaml pages with the user interface made there with no c# programming. The other pages have the logic.

Then, could you please explain me how can I port this? to windows 7, for example.

The app is just a collection of text and images.

Monday, April 20, 2015 10:13 PM
  • Create a WPF app & design your UI in that. You can probably reuse parts of your existing Xaml, but not all of it since WPF doesn't have the Windows Store iconic controls such as Hub and GridView.

Port your code-behind to the WPF app. This may just need copying over since the .Net Framework for Windows Runtime is generally a subset of the .Net Framework, but any Windows Runtime calls will need to be replaced with .Net calls that are available on your target OS.

In general you can comment out code until it builds and then go back through to replace the removed features. Test and repeat until you have completed the port.

If you have specific questions about problem areas then please ask with details. Since you'll be asking about the WPF implementation rather than the Windows Store app implementation you'll be better off asking in the WPF forum.

Monday, April 20, 2015 11:54 PM
    Owner