How to build Visual Studio Setup Project (vdproj) through TFS build 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using TFS 2013 to build my solutions, however when I tried to build a solution which contains a setup project it logs the warning that format (vdproj) is not supported.

How can I build my setup project using TFS builds

Pratik Tayde

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Pratik,

Thanks for your post.

TFS 2013 default build process template invoke the 12.0 MSBuild command to build solution/project by default, but the MSBuild is not support build setup project, so you received that warning in build result.

To build setup project in TFS 2013, you need custom the build process template: add InvokeProcess activity to run the devenv.exe command to build your setup project. For how to add InvokeProcess activity to run devenv.exe in build template, please refer to the example in this article: http://blog.ehn.nu/2010/05/building-visual-studio-setup-projects-with-tfs-2010-team-build/.

Note: the default BuildDetail is not available in in TFS 2013 TfvcTemplate.12.xaml, you can manually add it your build process template, please refer to the answer reply in this post: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/49f11ed9-9fa8-4c20-952a-d39ee7e71051/can-no-longer-user-builddetaildroplocation-for-copydirectory-with-tfs-2013-using-build-process?forum=tfsbuild.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 4, 2016 3:17 AM
  • Or just face the brutal facts. Visual studio Setup projects are a deprecated solution, brought back to life using a plugin for those too stubborn to use something else. The documentation clearly states that it's a bad solution for automated build environments because it needs to run Visual Studio to build the project. Running Visual Studio to build a project can cause all kinds of issues, since any pop-up can cause your build to fail.

Instead, for years now, Wix is the go-to free solution to developing Windows Installers. Plus, there are loads of 3rd party solutions, either free or paid that fill in this gap and actually use an MsBuild based project system or are stable and supported in an unattended build environment.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Pratik,

Thanks for your post.

TFS 2013 default build process template invoke the 12.0 MSBuild command to build solution/project by default, but the MSBuild is not support build setup project, so you received that warning in build result.

To build setup project in TFS 2013, you need custom the build process template: add InvokeProcess activity to run the devenv.exe command to build your setup project. For how to add InvokeProcess activity to run devenv.exe in build template, please refer to the example in this article: http://blog.ehn.nu/2010/05/building-visual-studio-setup-projects-with-tfs-2010-team-build/.

Note: the default BuildDetail is not available in in TFS 2013 TfvcTemplate.12.xaml, you can manually add it your build process template, please refer to the answer reply in this post: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/49f11ed9-9fa8-4c20-952a-d39ee7e71051/can-no-longer-user-builddetaildroplocation-for-copydirectory-with-tfs-2013-using-build-process?forum=tfsbuild.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 4, 2016 3:17 AM
  • Or just face the brutal facts. Visual studio Setup projects are a deprecated solution, brought back to life using a plugin for those too stubborn to use something else. The documentation clearly states that it's a bad solution for automated build environments because it needs to run Visual Studio to build the project. Running Visual Studio to build a project can cause all kinds of issues, since any pop-up can cause your build to fail.

Instead, for years now, Wix is the go-to free solution to developing Windows Installers. Plus, there are loads of 3rd party solutions, either free or paid that fill in this gap and actually use an MsBuild based project system or are stable and supported in an unattended build environment.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:16 PM