none
How does adding a watermark to the visual studio code editor benefit me as a developer?

Question

• I would appreciate replies that detail how the flashing image helps me focus on the problem at hand or how it makes my code becomes more readable when it is overlaid with other text.  I'm also open to answers that tell me how this image makes me more productive, makes my life more enjoyable, provides me with information I don't already know, etc.  

Thanks,

Sam

• Edited by SWheaties Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:55 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure you can blame Visual Studio for the watermark as I don't think it does that by default.  Are you using an add-in such as Web Essentials?  I believe it has a watermarking option in its settings.

• Proposed as answer by EWoodruff Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by SWheaties Friday, July 01, 2016 12:42 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:16 PM

All replies

• Yeah, that looks pretty bad.  The obvious benefit is that appears to be informing you that you are dealing with generated code -- and you shouldn't be making changes because whatever generated that file will no doubt regenerate the file and destroy any edits you may have performed.  The treatment appears astonishingly and unprecedentedly ugly.

Out of curiosity, how did you make that happen?  I've yet to see this for myself.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:54 PM
  • Yes, this watermark is advising me that the file is generated which is good to know.  I think there are other ways to communicate that fact however such as changing the background color or perhaps a border.  The example I posted is noteworthy because it actually overlays my code.  The more common watermark I've started to see is the logo of the product associated with the type of file being edited.  For example I've seen the windows logo and logos for various visual studio add on products. 
    This logo is displayed when components are added to visual studio.  I've seen the big Gulp cup logo, the logo for the minifier add on I just installed and the Windows logo (I don't recall what file displays it).
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:39 PM
  • I'm not sure you can blame Visual Studio for the watermark as I don't think it does that by default.  Are you using an add-in such as Web Essentials?  I believe it has a watermarking option in its settings.

• Proposed as answer by EWoodruff Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by SWheaties Friday, July 01, 2016 12:42 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:16 PM
  • Its an old post, but i think i have smth to contribute.

Why the watermark is there, it is very obvious.

Design features should be used correctly, and with attention to the context where it is done.
    Watermarks are meant to make something - VERY VERY clear to the user!
    something he can't miss!  (kinda like the "I Agree" checkbox that requires your action, without the action)

In this situation, i tend to agree with the use of the watermark for the following:

1. it is only in a file that the user rarely need to open (just in case something is wrong, and you really wana see the generated output!

2. it is on the bottom right corner (on a right->left file) where it is unobtrusive as possible.

3. if there wasn't such a strong notation, and the user missed that, he could lose hours of work.

4. Watermarks are used to LABEL an entire text, what is pretty clearly done here.

this is why i think the watermark is a good idea.

I'll address "other ways to communicate...":

there are, and you are correct, BUT:

I really wouldn't want the user to miss it! so border color / background shading / background pattern are a NO-NO.

Messagebox is the root of all evil and should be avoided as if it was fire!

Notification bar is a good option, though usually contains more information that really is needed.
    and it is useless to write "This is a generated file, you should not edit its content. you might want to rather edit your .scss file instead."

Last thing last... Why did it get to you that much ?

Saturday, October 14, 2017 12:44 PM