none
New Spin on Old Blank Pages In PDF Problem *Update* Found Reproducible Bug RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've searched an read many posts on the topic and think I've got a stumper here.

I've wrestled with report viewer before and know that my report elements can't exceed the margins.   If they do I will get extra pages.
    Depending on the data set I either get a perfect report, or every other page is blank.

Just to be clear and avoid an lot of questions in the thread, here are the specs:
    Report -> Report Properties -> All margins (top bottom left right) = .5
                                                  ->    Report Size = 8.5 x 11

The RDLC size = 7.4 (which is less then my 7.5 limit from (8.5 - left(.5) - right(.5) )

The RDLC is populated by a series of subreports - each placed vertically (never one next to another).
    The largest subreport is 7.25, most are around 3.5.

The vertical length of the sub report varies depending on the data but it can range from a couple of inches to over a page in length.
    Most subreports consist of a Table.  The last subreport is a matrix.

I have multiple data sets (all of reasonably substantial size - 8 to 9 pages if not for the blanks).

Set A: print to PDF -> Works!
    Set B: print to PDF -> Every other page blank.

Failed Attempts to Resolve:
    Removed headers and footers
    Changed the background color of each subreport to see if it exceeds margin and is pushing to the next page - no visible colors
    Placed box around each subreport.
    Checked the page properties in the ReportViewer at runtime, confirmed the margins and size.

Clue:
    If I change the page orientation to landscape, I no longer have blank pages. This could suggest that a subreport is to wide, but as I have demonstrated, there is no reason to suspect this is the case.

Concerns:
    If column widths in a table are static, why would some data sets cause the problem, and others do not.
    In cases of blank pages - no "color" seen from the table or the subreport rdlc background color
    Issue occurs to the longer data set (more entries) who's tables fail to fit on one page.

Additional Notes: (Just to keep things interesting)
    There are hidden rows (ie: don't want to display group data) but NO hidden columns to cause oversized width
    Every table cell and text cell contains a special function I have loaded into an assembly (my version of a generic table)
    =Generic_RDLC_Table_Library.ReportFunctions.RetrieveDataFromElement(Fields!Elements.Value, 0)
    That list bit shouldn't make a difference, but I'm stumpted and don't want to leave anything out.

I think I've covered everything.  Given the table widths are static (as I understand it), and all tables and rdlc subreports fall within the given range, I can't help but wonder if reportviewer is just having trouble identifying where page breaks should be when a table is to long.

Well, I guess that covers it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If anyone would like to message me directly for more info I can be reached at jordan f / 222 / at the Hotmail.com on MSN.
    No spaces or / of course.

If I get an answer outside of the forums I'll post back here with the result.  If anyone in a knowledgeable position thiks its a bug, I'll be happy to provide what I can to the dev team to correct this for the next release

- Jordan

PS: If anyone is interested I will eventually post my "Generic Table" code.  It eliminates the need to specify data sources etc.  but it is not perfect yet.  In a month or to as I extend it and correct things I'll try to post a writeup.

pps: Sorry for the length!
    • Edited by Jordan At Kawa Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:32 PM Found Reproducable Bug - updated post title
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:09 PM

Answers

• SUCCESS!!! - Found the bug in reportviewer and can reproduce

To reduce complexity I started with a blank report and added subreports.

The issue is the matrix subreport.

If the following conditions are met, the report will exhibit the reported behavior.

1) Multipage report with subreports on multiple pages (resulting from size of data set, not page break)
    2) Subreport containing matrix starts on page other then first - ie: page 2 (did not try this with "page break" - matrix on second page was a result of page 1 being full)
    3) The matrix must contain enough entries to cause it to over flow to the next page.

Special Consideration:  These conditions are the only ones tested.  For example, it may not be necessary to have non-matrix object be subreports. 

Analysis:  I am by no means an expert on report viewer, but I suspect that there is an issue with rendering order and sub reports.
    In the case of the matrix subreport, it expands horizonally pushing out the margin of the container report during rendering analysis.
    The renderer moves the overflow to the next page but does not correct the now enlarged margins of the container report.
    • Marked as answer by Jordan At Kawa Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:32 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:45 AM

All replies

• SUCCESS!!! - Found the bug in reportviewer and can reproduce

To reduce complexity I started with a blank report and added subreports.

The issue is the matrix subreport.

If the following conditions are met, the report will exhibit the reported behavior.

1) Multipage report with subreports on multiple pages (resulting from size of data set, not page break)
    2) Subreport containing matrix starts on page other then first - ie: page 2 (did not try this with "page break" - matrix on second page was a result of page 1 being full)
    3) The matrix must contain enough entries to cause it to over flow to the next page.

Special Consideration:  These conditions are the only ones tested.  For example, it may not be necessary to have non-matrix object be subreports. 

Analysis:  I am by no means an expert on report viewer, but I suspect that there is an issue with rendering order and sub reports.
    In the case of the matrix subreport, it expands horizonally pushing out the margin of the container report during rendering analysis.
    The renderer moves the overflow to the next page but does not correct the now enlarged margins of the container report.
    • Marked as answer by Jordan At Kawa Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:32 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Can anyone tell me how to alert MS?
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:20 AM
  • <bump>

Can a moderator or someone tell me how I can report this bug to the MS Report Viewer Team?
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:23 PM
  • One more try . . .

Can anyone tell me how to report this to MS?
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Hi Jordan,

You can file bugs at http://connect.microsoft.com. We appreciate your feedback.

For the Katmai release of SQL Server RS 2008, we have redesigned a large part of the PDF renderer and page layout. Hopefully we have this issue already fixed.
    Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:42 PM