Metro UI <-> Desktop UI

Question

• Hi All,

I have a question where there is certainly a answer somewhere but I didn't find it yet.

I'm a new windows application developper (since february). And my company has a program on Windows (XP, 7). The question is, is it possible to port the program developped in VS2008 and VS2010 (WinForm c# and WPF c# + XAML) to a Metro UI, I understand that the UI will change, but is it possible,  do we have a kind of bridge ? Or we better need to begin the UI from "0" ?

And the most important is, does the new Metro UI still works under Win XP and 7 and Win8 desktop ?

if not, it's a disaster because we will need to have 2 project to do the same work. Means 2 times developpement.

Thanks for your help.

Yannick

Friday, June 22, 2012 9:11 AM

Answers

• Yannick,

Correct.  Metro style apps only run under Windows 8.  If you are developing a program needs to run on XP, Vista, Win 7 and Windows 8 you should use WPF.  You can share a lot of your code with WPF, which makes maintaining two applications simpler if that's what you wish to do.  That's what I'm doing with my virtual tour software (http://www.palacevirtualtours.com/).  I have a WPF version for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.  I have a Silverlight version that allows it to run on macs.  I have a Windows Phone version, and now a WinRT (Metro) version of Windows 8.  They are all sharing the code to some extent or another.  Unfortunately Microsoft made some particular design decisions with each of these platforms that makes it hard to share as much as you possibly could, but over time Windows Phone and WinRT will probably allow you to share much of your code which will make things simpler.

...Stefan

• Marked as answer by Bounce1012 Monday, June 25, 2012 6:40 AM
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, "Metro" is just a UI style, you could design your desktop apps (such as Zune) or web apps following to the Metro UI guidlines.

Second, "Metro Style Apps" is a new application architecture that can only run on Windows 8 but Windows XP nor Windows 7.

Metro Style Apps are designed to put the content before chrome, to show as more content as it could.

And, the XAML code, base framework and libraries between WPF and Metro Style Apps are not all the same.

I'd like to give you a suggestion that you can exmine the flows and all the interactions to determine if your desktop app is suitable for being converted into a Metro style app.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Ouch Liu
    Welcome to visit by blog: Ouch@點部落
    Welcome to join the Designer x Developer group on Facebook: Facebook 設計x程式 社團

Friday, June 22, 2012 10:00 AM
  • So, I can't developp a "Metro Style App" and install it on Win XP or Win 7, that's what you said ? No virtual machine or something exist ?

At the very first beginning, we developped this program for windows mobile  (Pocket PC, as it needed to be mobile), we all know the end of the pocket PC...

Then, we did developp a PC app, now, we have to redevelopp an app for WinRT as the desktop is not available ? and have a application that can works with old windows version, so 2 projects? Do I understand everything, or I miss something ?

Many thx

Yannick

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Yannick,

Correct.  Metro style apps only run under Windows 8.  If you are developing a program needs to run on XP, Vista, Win 7 and Windows 8 you should use WPF.  You can share a lot of your code with WPF, which makes maintaining two applications simpler if that's what you wish to do.  That's what I'm doing with my virtual tour software (http://www.palacevirtualtours.com/).  I have a WPF version for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.  I have a Silverlight version that allows it to run on macs.  I have a Windows Phone version, and now a WinRT (Metro) version of Windows 8.  They are all sharing the code to some extent or another.  Unfortunately Microsoft made some particular design decisions with each of these platforms that makes it hard to share as much as you possibly could, but over time Windows Phone and WinRT will probably allow you to share much of your code which will make things simpler.

...Stefan

• Marked as answer by Bounce1012 Monday, June 25, 2012 6:40 AM
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:14 AM