automating SQL Azure Backup help needed RRS feed

• Question

• I have created the Storage Account and hosted a service using Azure Management Portal. also uploaded XML file to storage account using Azure Storage Explorer. The I dont see any backup's created in the local drive(as mentioned in the ExportFileDirectory).

I have followed the same steps as given in the following link http://azureautobackup.codeplex.com/documentation. Can anyone please help me on this issue.

1)where can i see the backed up bacpac file.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please confirm if you have set ExportTo=”FileSystem” ?

If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Thanks! Vaibhav Gujral.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:58 AM
  • yes i have set ExportTo="FileSystem" but cannot see any backup's happening.

done all the required settings but dont know where im wrong.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

Then, it might be something to do with the BackupScheduledPeriod and BackupScheduledTime. You can also check LastBackupDateTime value.

If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Thanks! Vaibhav Gujral.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:12 PM
  • these are the following settings i have done:

1)i created a storage account under the 3-month free trial subscription called "tfarecloudstorage"

2)Using AzureStorageExplorer I have craeted container for the above storage account called "tfarecloudcontainer"

3)i have a ServiceConfiguration.Cloud file in which i have changed the DataConnectionString, InputXMLBlobConnectionString and InputXMLBlobContainerName

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Setting name="DataConnectionString" value="DefaultEndpointsProtocol=http;AccountName=tfarecloudstorage;AccountKey=XXX" />

<Setting name="InputXMLBlobConnectionString" value="DefaultEndpointsProtocol=http;AccountName=tfarecloudstorage;AccountKey=XXX" />

<Setting name="InputXMLBlobContainerName" value="tfarecloudcontainer" />

4)I created a Hosted service in the management portal and accordingly gave the service name, included the above service configuration file and the package location.the hosted service name being set to tfareclouddaily

5)Uploaded the XML file with the details as given below using AzureStorageExplorer to the container "tfarecloudcontainer" created in step 2.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <Databases>  
    <Database ServerName="XXX.database.windows.net"
    DatabaseName="TFareCloud"  
    UseWindowsAuth="false"
    LoginId="XXX"
    Password="XXX"
    BackupFileName="TFareBac_@Date_@Time.bacpac"
    BackupScheduledPeriod="Daily"
    BackupScheduledTime="5:00 PM"
    LastBackupDateTime="06-May-2012 05:00 PM"
    ExportTo="FileSystem"
    ExportFileDirectory="D:\DatabaseBackup\@Date"
    TrustServerCertificate="false"
    UseSSL="false">
    </Database>
    </Databases> 

also If i have mentioned the EXportFileDirectory as D:\DatabaseBackup\@Date i should be able to see the bacpac file created in this location right?
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:54 AM
  • can somebody please help me on this.
    Monday, May 14, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

The file will be stored in the same instance on which the code running as the configuration says to export the file to file system (ExportTo="FileSystem") under the D:\DatabaseBackup\@date. Here date will be in the date it is taking backup.

To see the file you required to RDP to that instance and see the backup file. You can even export the same to storage drives if you have setup as drive to that instance (using startup script).

Currently, ExportTo="FileSystem" is good to have if the code runs on on-premise system. so the file can be stored into some disk. If the package runs on Azure, better to take to blob storage.

Many Thanks,

Thirumalai M

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:40 PM