none
TechNet Downloads Website RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I don't go to the downloads site everyday so I'm not certain when the upgrade took place, but I have to say it is utterly terrible.

First of all, where was the plan to send a note to subscribers about this new upgrade? Sometimes, it's a good idea to let the people it will affect know. Even before that, it needs to be tested thoroughly.

Second, there needs to be some kind of communication when there is a problem. Communication needs to occur with technet concierge people that I contacted about this last night didn't seem to know much or what they did know they didn't want to share. Communication needs to occur to the users of the site to address the problem and let them know you are working on it.

Third, since the problem may or may not be solved in any time frame, I suppose I can expect a refund for the days that I am unable to use my subscription correct? Who do I contact about that?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Friday, May 2, 2008 5:06 PM

Answers

• For question #1, the file you need is:

Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (x64) - DVD (English)

This is the Ultimate x64 version, retail version.   And this is also the DVD for Ultimate, Home Basic, Home Premium.   Why, because there is only ONE DVD for all versions except the Enterprise and Business version.    It will install Ultimate if you use the Ultimate key.

For question #2, you answer can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/koreanorder/faq.mspx

Monday, May 5, 2008 8:11 AM

All replies

• I have to agree 200%!!!

The upgrade is horrible, from the "twitchy" menus that make it hard to select products, to the aggravating file names, to the inability to find things which I've downloaded previously.

A few examples:

#1 Right now I was looking for Vista Ultimate x64.  No, I DO NOT want the #$%^% checked build.  Here are just some of the files listed for Vista.  Can anyone tell me where the Ultimate x64 download is?  I certainly can't tell.

Windows Vista (x64) - DVD (English)
    Windows Vista (x64) Checked/Debug Build - DVD
    Windows Vista Business N (x64) - DVD (English)
    Windows Vista Business N (x86) - DVD (English)
    Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1 Checked/Debug Build (x64) - DVD (English)

#2 Some files now have strange names like:

"Windows Vista Business N (x86)"       (Norwegian???)
    "Windows XP Home K with Service Pack 3 (x86)"      (Korean???)

What the #$%^ is "Vista Business N"?  N for what?  Am I supposed to know what that is?

#3 Some files are unavailable, when I know I've downloaded them before. 

Items such as "Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005" are grayed out and unavailable.  As a Technet Direct subscriber, why don't I have access to them? 

#4 The default is for "File Type: DVD" which in some cases means that I don't see anything in the list until I change it to "All Media".

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, do something to improve the website!!!  This is a big step backward.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 4:56 AM
  • For question #1, the file you need is:

This is the Ultimate x64 version, retail version.   And this is also the DVD for Ultimate, Home Basic, Home Premium.   Why, because there is only ONE DVD for all versions except the Enterprise and Business version.    It will install Ultimate if you use the Ultimate key.

For question #2, you answer can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/koreanorder/faq.mspx

Monday, May 5, 2008 8:11 AM
  • Thanks Firewall!

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:39 AM