none
How to programmatically rename excel worksheet title? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to be able to rename a excel worksheet file programmatically without having to open the file and doing so. Any tips help would be appreciated. Thanks.

.xls is the format.

• Edited by vkid12 Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:31 PM
    • Moved by CoolDadTx Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:32 PM Office related
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi vkid12,

>> I'm using 2007, i just need to rename the worksheet name.

Excel 2007 supports xlsx format, so I suggest that you could convert (save as) xls format file to xlsx file, then rename the worksheet title through open xml.

By the way, it needs to open the file, the same as the other ways that also need to open the file.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 15, 2015 2:20 AM
  • If you got .xls, the only way to edit a file is through Office Interop, an old (pre .NET) COM library that requires office to be installed on the local machine.
    Since we had that there was never any need to make something else for .NET (like you got for Java, PHP and all the other langauges), but a partial solution might still exist.

If you had .xlsx you could do it with the Open XML SDK:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb448854.aspx
    Or just use the classes to open zip archives and XML files read/write.
    But you don't have that luxury.

Also please specify "does not work". What errors do you get?

Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:50 PM

All replies

• .xls or .xlsx?

The diffirences between both formats are enormous (xlsx is the better one)

Likely you will need Office isntalled on the computer doing this.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:28 PM
  • we are using .xls atm, so anything along that line would be great!
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:31 PM
  • I think you will need to open the file programmatically before you can change the name of a worksheet. Please refer to the following example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4561012/how-to-rename-excel-sheet-name-dynamically-in-c-sharp

At least there are no other API:s that lets you do this directly.

You may want to ask this kind of questions in the Office development forums for better help in the future though: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=officedev

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread in an appropriate forum if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:51 PM
  • If you going to use .xlsx you can use the Packaging library to access the xml files and do your changes there. To see those files on your machine just rename .xlsx to .xlsx.zip and check the files that compose your excel workbook.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332058%28v=office.12%29.aspx

Which version of office are you using? Try renaming manually your xsl to .xlsx and the add .zip to see if you will get same result as above.

Fouad Roumieh

Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:40 PM
  • If you going to use .xlsx you can use the Packaging library to access the xml files and do your changes there. To see those files on your machine just rename .xlsx to .xlsx.zip and check the files that compose your excel workbook.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332058%28v=office.12%29.aspx

Which version of office are you using? Try renaming manually your xsl to .xlsx and the add .zip to see if you will get same result as above.

Fouad Roumieh

I'm using 2007, i just need to rename the worksheet name.
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:48 PM
  • I think you will need to open the file programmatically before you can change the name of a worksheet. Please refer to the following example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4561012/how-to-rename-excel-sheet-name-dynamically-in-c-sharp

At least there are no other API:s that lets you do this directly.

You may want to ask this kind of questions in the Office development forums for better help in the future though: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=officedev

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread in an appropriate forum if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

These are not working for me.
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:48 PM
  • If you got .xls, the only way to edit a file is through Office Interop, an old (pre .NET) COM library that requires office to be installed on the local machine.
    Since we had that there was never any need to make something else for .NET (like you got for Java, PHP and all the other langauges), but a partial solution might still exist.

If you had .xlsx you could do it with the Open XML SDK:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb448854.aspx
    Or just use the classes to open zip archives and XML files read/write.
    But you don't have that luxury.

Also please specify "does not work". What errors do you get?

Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:50 PM
  • To elaborate and on the .xlsx format strictly, you need to add two references to your project WindowsBase and DocumentFormat.OpenXml:

and then you can use the below code to rename:

using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.ComponentModel; using System.Data; using System.Drawing; using System.Linq; using System.Text; using System.Threading.Tasks; using System.Windows.Forms; using DocumentFormat.OpenXml.Packaging; using DocumentFormat.OpenXml.Spreadsheet; namespace WindowsFormsApplication1 { public partial class Form1 : Form { public Form1() { InitializeComponent(); } public static SpreadsheetDocument OpenSpreadSheetForUpdate(string docName) { return SpreadsheetDocument.Open(docName, true); } public static void CloseSpreadSheet(SpreadsheetDocument spreadSheet) { spreadSheet.Close(); } private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { SpreadsheetDocument doc = OpenSpreadSheetForUpdate(@"C:\Users\Fouad\Desktop\Comparison.xlsx"); foreach (Sheet s in doc.WorkbookPart.Workbook.Sheets) { if (s.Name == "Sheet1") { s.Name = "New Name"; } }

CloseSpreadSheet(doc);

}

}

Fouad Roumieh

Thursday, May 14, 2015 7:23 PM
  • Hi vkid12,

>> I'm using 2007, i just need to rename the worksheet name.

Excel 2007 supports xlsx format, so I suggest that you could convert (save as) xls format file to xlsx file, then rename the worksheet title through open xml.

By the way, it needs to open the file, the same as the other ways that also need to open the file.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 15, 2015 2:20 AM
  • I'm not sure which programming language you're referring too, but you could also use VBA (Visual Basic for applications).  There is a Microsoft Excel 12.0 (14.0) Object Library that lets you programatically change file names.  

After referencing the file in VBA you can use this method call

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs

which takes a a File name as a parameter.

Friday, May 15, 2015 2:38 AM
  • If you use Spire.XLS, you can do it like this

using Spire.Xls; namespace changeename { class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { //load Excel file Workbook workbook = new Workbook(); workbook.LoadFromFile(@"D:\Sample.xls");

//get the first sheet Worksheet worksheet = workbook.Worksheets[0]; //change sheet name worksheet.Name = "New Name"; //save to file workbook.SaveToFile("Result.xls"); } } }

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:51 AM
  • It's not clear if you only want to rename the file "want to rename a worksheet file" or if you want to rename a worksheet in the file as your subject says, or as some here seem to have got the impression you want to change the extension and fileformat.

If you simply want to change the filename of a closed file

sName = "C:\<path>\oldname.xls"
    sNewName = "C:\<path>\newname.xls"
    Name sName As sNewName
    It is possible to rename a worksheet in a closed xls using BIFF8 or a xlsx/m  by rewriting the appropriate xml file in the main zipped file, both a lot of work unless you are set up to do it. However if you want to change the fileformat and extension you will need to open the file to make the changes.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:30 AM