none
Simple-ish query re matrix / list layout and formatting. RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone give me any pointers on how to do this.

I hace a dataset that is provided by an 'object' data source - the type of report that I am trying to produce is logically a 'matrix' - with several nested 'levels' of row heading and one level of column heading, eg:

H1

H2

H3   value  value  value .....

H3   value  value  value ...

H2 

H1

H2 

H3  value value value ...

The values in the tables are the aggregated sums of the values in the input data set that are in the appropriate data 'buckets'.

In this case, the top level row heading corresponds to people's names - so these can be quite long strings. The default behaviour of the matrix report seems to be to indent the various levels of row-heading hierarchically - whereas, bacause of the lengths of these names - what I want is for the first level row heading not to be indented, but appear as a 'section heading' be above the nested sub-headings, eg:

H1

H2

H2

H3 value value value ...

I have tried looking at this problem as a 'list' of reports, using sub-reports, and I can get the individual sub reports for each person formatted sensibly, but then what do i set up for the outer report ? - a 'list' report doesn't produce distict entries on the H1 level values, and a matrix report will presumably have the same problem as before. These approaches are beginning to look a little complicated, given what I am trying to do.

It strikes me that there must be an easy way to do this, preferably using a formatting/layout option somewhere - but I havent been able to find out how.

Does anyone know ?

Thx

Andrew

Friday, November 2, 2007 1:48 PM