File storage - no ping possible RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a cloud storage in Azure, but I cannot Access <account Name>.file.core.windows.net by ping. There is a timeout. So I can not go on and create a share by powershell. There seems to be no DNS for "<account Name>.file.core.windows.net".

What can be done?

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:50 AM

Answers

• You cannot ping to Azure as the ICMP protocol is not enabled.

If you still want to create a share inside Azure Storage, i'm suggesting you to use the Azure Files Preiew features.

You can actually map a network drive on your VM and he will save the files on the Storage Account.

If you want to learn how to this, you can check my article inside this link:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/agile/2014/09/18/azure-files-services/

Good Luck,

Ido

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Currently, Azure don't support ICMP. So we don't use Ping commend on Azure. You could vote this feature:

http://feedback.azure.com/forums/217313-networking-dns-traffic-manager-vpn-vnet/suggestions/3346609-icmp-support-for-azure-websites-roles-cloud-serv

For your situation, I suggest you could use some network tools (nslookup) to query your "<account Name>.file.core.windows.net". About how to create and use Azure file service, please see this link:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2014/05/12/introducing-microsoft-azure-file-service.aspx

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

I understand that you are unable to ping to access Storage Account <StorageAccountName>.blob.core.windows.net

However I would like to inform you that Azure Firewall does not permit "ICMP Ping". The ICMP traffic is blocked by the Azure load balancer and the ping requests timeout. 

To test connectivity, we instead recommend that you do a port ping. While Ping.exe uses ICMP, other tools such as PsPing, Nmap, or Telnet allow you to test connectivity to a specific TCP port.

In order to create a File share using Powershell, use the below steps

Create a context for your storage account and key

Now, create the storage account context. The context encapsulates the account name and account key. Replace account-name and account-key with your account name and key in the following example:

# create a context for account and key
    $ctx=New-AzureStorageContext account-name account-key

Create a new file share

Next, create the new share, named sampleshare in this example:

# create a new share
    $s = New-AzureStorageShare sampleshare -Context $ctx

You now have a file share in File storage. Next we'll add a directory and a file.

Create a directory in the file share

Next, create a directory in the share. In the following example, the directory is named sampledir:

# create a directory in the share
    New-AzureStorageDirectory -Share $s -Path sampledir

Upload a local file to the directory

Now upload a local file to the directory. The following example uploads a file from C:\temp\samplefile.txt. Edit the file path so that it points to a valid file on your local machine:

# upload a local file to the new directory
    Set-AzureStorageFileContent -Share $s -Source C:\temp\samplefile.txt -Path sampledir

List the files in the directory

To see the file in the directory, you can list the directory's files. This command will also list subdirectories, but in this example, there is no subdirectory, so only the file will be listed.

# list files in the new directory
    Get-AzureStorageFile -Share $s -Path sampledir

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Sowmya

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Did you enable your Azure File service on this page (http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/preview/ )? If not activated this feature, I suggest you can activate it firstly.

And then you can try above powershell code.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

Currently, Azure don't support ICMP. So we don't use Ping commend on Azure. You could vote this feature:

http://feedback.azure.com/forums/217313-networking-dns-traffic-manager-vpn-vnet/suggestions/3346609-icmp-support-for-azure-websites-roles-cloud-serv

For your situation, I suggest you could use some network tools (nslookup) to query your "<account Name>.file.core.windows.net". About how to create and use Azure file service, please see this link:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2014/05/12/introducing-microsoft-azure-file-service.aspx

Regards,

Will

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:21 AM
  • You cannot ping to Azure as the ICMP protocol is not enabled.

If you still want to create a share inside Azure Storage, i'm suggesting you to use the Azure Files Preiew features.

You can actually map a network drive on your VM and he will save the files on the Storage Account.

If you want to learn how to this, you can check my article inside this link:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/agile/2014/09/18/azure-files-services/

Good Luck,

Ido

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Hi,

I understand that you are unable to ping to access Storage Account <StorageAccountName>.blob.core.windows.net

However I would like to inform you that Azure Firewall does not permit "ICMP Ping". The ICMP traffic is blocked by the Azure load balancer and the ping requests timeout. 

To test connectivity, we instead recommend that you do a port ping. While Ping.exe uses ICMP, other tools such as PsPing, Nmap, or Telnet allow you to test connectivity to a specific TCP port.

In order to create a File share using Powershell, use the below steps

Create a context for your storage account and key

Now, create the storage account context. The context encapsulates the account name and account key. Replace account-name and account-key with your account name and key in the following example:

# create a context for account and key
    $ctx=New-AzureStorageContext account-name account-key

Create a new file share

Next, create the new share, named sampleshare in this example:

# create a new share
    $s = New-AzureStorageShare sampleshare -Context $ctx

You now have a file share in File storage. Next we'll add a directory and a file.

Create a directory in the file share

Next, create a directory in the share. In the following example, the directory is named sampledir:

# create a directory in the share
    New-AzureStorageDirectory -Share $s -Path sampledir

Upload a local file to the directory

Now upload a local file to the directory. The following example uploads a file from C:\temp\samplefile.txt. Edit the file path so that it points to a valid file on your local machine:

# upload a local file to the new directory
    Set-AzureStorageFileContent -Share $s -Source C:\temp\samplefile.txt -Path sampledir

List the files in the directory

To see the file in the directory, you can list the directory's files. This command will also list subdirectories, but in this example, there is no subdirectory, so only the file will be listed.

# list files in the new directory
    Get-AzureStorageFile -Share $s -Path sampledir

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Sowmya

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Thank you. But the Problem is: if I write (Powershell)

"New-AzureStorageShare tbshare -Context $ctx"

I get the answer "The Remote Name cannot be resolved 'tbdaten.file.core.windows.net'

(tbdaten is the account-Name). So I can not go on and I don't konow what to do.

Regards

Robert Walz

Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:30 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Did you enable your Azure File service on this page (http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/preview/ )? If not activated this feature, I suggest you can activate it firstly.

And then you can try above powershell code.

Regards,

Will

Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:44 AM
  • Thank you very much. This was the reason, why it did not work. The Azure File Service was not activated. Meanwhile it works, as you have described. According to the activation there is to say: First: It Needs some time until it is actually activated. The message, that it is activated is not correct. Second: The storage has to be deleted and created again. If it is active it is listed in the Dashboard of the storage below "Service" (files "preview" ....).
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:18 PM