TFS 2010 Installation:Provisioning SQL Server Databases RRS feed

• Question

• We are going for SQL Server Dual Server Installation Topologies.

Dual Server:    

o   SQL Server Reporting Services and Team Foundation Server running on the same server i.e.App. Tier

o   Database Engine, Full text search, SQL Server Analysis Services on another server i.e. Data tier.

So we will install only Database Engine, Full text search, SQL Server Analysis Services on data tier. No reporting services on data tier.

Configuration for Reporting Services: If  Reporting Services is on the same server as Team Foundation Server and you have not configured the report server, you are prompted during Team Foundation Server installation to complete the report server configuration. This will happen after TFS setup installation on app tier.

Can anyone explain me.....Provisioning SQL Server Databases part mentioned in installation guide.

"Each project collection requires its own database, but you cannot configure Team Foundation Server to use an empty project collection database during installation. You must add an empty project collection database after installation, using Team Foundation Administration Console."

any guidance what above lines actually means.......Confusing stuff..........

Friday, July 9, 2010 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, the documentation can be confusing.  I recommend taking a virtual machine and run through the advanced setup so you can see all of the settings to get a feel for what these mean.  Here's how I understand the parts you are asking about

Configuration for Reporting Services.  If it is on the same server as TFS, it will automatically configure SSRS in native mode and create the database.  If it is on another server, you will need to use the SSRS Configuration manager to create it.

The last sentance means you can't precreate an empty project collection database like you with the other databases during the installation/configuraiton wizard.  In the  TFS amin console, it does give you the option to create a new team project collection using an empty database.

I hope this helps,

Mike

blog - http://www.codesmartnothard.com
    • Proposed as answer by VishalMody Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:02 PM
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:36 AM