none
Microsoft SDK to find Gender and People count RRS feed

• Question

• We are Planning to develop an applicatoion that calculates the following using Microsoft Kinect camera and SDK.

1) No of Persons entering the store.
    2) No of Females inside the store.
    3) No of Males inside the store.
    4) Age group of each gender.

I need to know whether the above items are possible with Microsoft Kinect Camera and also want to know the hardware requirement for my purpose.

I also want to know whether there are default APIs available in Kinect SDK to find AGE, GENDEFR and PEOPLE COUNT or do I need to implement using the Kinect SDK?

My environment is mostly at night conditions.

If the above items are possible I want to know the pricing and licencing details as well. Can some one help me out with this?

Monday, February 3, 2014 4:51 AM

All replies

• You can use Kinect SDK to count persons who are entering to the store by using skeleton tracking. At this moment there is no way to find age, gender using Kinect SDK but you can achieve this by using some kind of algorithms like for example image processing, blob detection and others.
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Do we need to implement skeleton tracking in Kinect SDK or by default the SDK has skeleton tracking?
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Skeletal tracking is all done for you.

There you go!

I don't think there anything done, even in the openNI libraries to gender detection. Kinect also works well at night conditions. I do not also know anything about age - and I think it would be kinda of difficult to make such detection - gender would be easier. How can you calculate a age of a person by it's Skeleton, movements, and how can you be precise about it?

I don't see that as a easy task :) Achievable, but not easy! And even if you achieve it, there's also a lot of things behind the curtains. Some people have medical conditions that can make then grow really fast at their teen's... and some are adults but could have some sort of problem that can mess up your algorithm. People in wheelchairs, dwarfism... Well, lot's of thing to think about :)

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:12 PM