SQL Server installation failed. Exit Code Exit Code -2068643839 Exit Facility 1203 Error Code 1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have posted a question about this in a separate thread that has progressed from a different error. However, it looks like I have a dilemma.

From further research, it seems that the installation process requires that it is performed under the actual Administrator login. I attempted the installation under my personal login that has administrator rights.

There is no Administrator login on the login screen so how can I comply with what the install process seems to require. I'm trying to install SQL Server 2008 Developer edition on my laptop with XP Pro.

I've been trying to install SQL Server for about a fortnight and have never seen such a complex and infuriating installation process.

Can someone please please help me.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 3:29 PM

Answers

• I'm posting similar information on both threads that I started to show the conclusion.

I managed to complete the installation. I found that the previous failed installation had not been removed after the failure and I think this was the cause of the ultimate failure. I was performing the installation as a new installation. Possibly, it would have worked if I had performed it as an update but I'm not going to touch it. :-)

I removed all SQL Sever programs via Control Panel and Add Remove Programs and installed under my name with Administrator rights and got through to the end. I also disabled AVG Id protection as that caused my original problem.

I'll send an email as requested in case the logs are of use.

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:03 AM

All replies

• You will need to have the ability to install software onto the machine, which includes writing to the registery and the system directories. This normally requires a power user or a local administrator to complete the task.
    http://www.virtualrealm.com.au - XNA Game Programming News and Resources from Downunder.
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:33 AM
  • Thanks Glenn,

Currently, I have a signon in my name with Computer Administrator rights. I have read that I require to install SQL Server 2008 Dev as local/Administrator because the installation does not tolerate other signons even if they have admin rights.

I tried to create an Administrator account but I can't because I'm told it already exists but it does not appear on the list of available users - the only other one is Guest.

I cannot see how I can get out of his spiral.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:49 AM
  • John

I am really sorry about it. I have been perfromed tens of installation on Vista and W7, and XP as well and had never seen serious problems

Can  you right click on the set up and Run As Administrator ?

What errors  do you get? On what level of installation?

Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:09 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Uri,

I posted the summary log in the thread I started entitled

SQL Server installation failed. Exit Code -2068774911 Exit Facility 11201 Error Code 1

It's at the end of the thread because I overcame the original issues. I have the other logs. Just let me know what I can provide as I'm desperate to get the installation completed.

Thanks for your interest.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

Since the detail error information is unavailable, I cannot identify the root cause of the issue. To troubleshoot the issue, try the following steps;
    1.  For Windows XP, SQL Server 2008 requires the Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Make sure you have installed the Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.
    2. View the error messages logged into the setup log files which are located in the %Program files%\Microsoft sql server\100\Setup bootstrap\Log\ folder. For more information about how to View and Read SQL Server Setup Log Files, please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702.aspx.

If you cannot resolve the issue, you could first send me an email at sqltnsp_at_microsoft_dot_com with the subject “<To Xiaomin Tan>< thread link >”. Then I will reply you via email to let you know how to upload the setup log files to us.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:21 AM
  • I'm posting similar information on both threads that I started to show the conclusion.

I managed to complete the installation. I found that the previous failed installation had not been removed after the failure and I think this was the cause of the ultimate failure. I was performing the installation as a new installation. Possibly, it would have worked if I had performed it as an update but I'm not going to touch it. :-)

I removed all SQL Sever programs via Control Panel and Add Remove Programs and installed under my name with Administrator rights and got through to the end. I also disabled AVG Id protection as that caused my original problem.

I'll send an email as requested in case the logs are of use.

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience of installing SQL Server 2008. I’m marking your reply as answer that will help other communities  who has the similar issue.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:54 AM