Cannot copy from Design 3 to Blend 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have built various text designs in Design 3.  I want to paste these into Blend 3.  I use the 'copy xaml' menu selection in Design 3 and then go to Blend 3 and 'paste'.  One time this worked, but every other time I have attempted to do this I get the following error dialog window: 'The Clipboard text could not be pasted.  The name "Viewbox" does not exist in the namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/client/2007 ".'  What do I need to do to correct this?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

• For those following this 'discovery':

I didn't realize that the default setting for the Copy XAML is XAML WPF Canvas.   I reset it to XAML Silverlight 3 Canvas when I saw the instructions in the Starter Kit "Silverlight for Designers Manual":

Cutting and pasting into Expression Blend

Before you can accurately copy and paste from Design to Blend there is an option that you will need to change.

1.   Select Edit > Options > Clipboard (XAML). The Options dialog box appears.

2.   From the Clipboard format drop-down menu select XAML Silverlight Canvas.

<Image not included>

Change your Options to copy Design content more accurately.

3.   Select the object(s) that you wish to place in Blend and then choose Edit > Copy XAML, or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Z.

4.   When in Blend choose Edit > Paste, or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V.

• Marked as answer by kogrady51 Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:12 PM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Try using copy rather than copy xaml, this should work, because is ends up converting to xaml upon pasting it anyway.
    • Proposed as answer by RockwellDesign77 Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by kogrady51 Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:30 PM

All replies

• Try using copy rather than copy xaml, this should work, because is ends up converting to xaml upon pasting it anyway.
    • Proposed as answer by RockwellDesign77 Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by kogrady51 Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Was your project a Siverlight project? I'm trying to confirm the repro case here.

• Proposed as answer by Mke HammerFish Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:16 PM
  • I have tried to reproduce it in Design and Blend - and I dont get the error. I tried with different figures and text. What kind of stuff are you creating in Design?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Yes.  I finally determined that I needed to build the slice and export it (them).  Once I had a slice I was able to copy it and paste the slice directly onto the design view.  Learning by trial and error :)  Thanks for your support.
    /r Kevin
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 5:14 PM
  • I simply built some text using Segoe Script with "Thick MultiLayer" stroke.  But I finally determined that I needed to build the slice and export it (them).  Once I had a slice I was able to copy it and paste the slice directly onto the design view.  Learning by trial and error :)  Thanks for your support.
    /r Kevin
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 5:18 PM

• For those following this 'discovery':

I didn't realize that the default setting for the Copy XAML is XAML WPF Canvas.   I reset it to XAML Silverlight 3 Canvas when I saw the instructions in the Starter Kit "Silverlight for Designers Manual":

Cutting and pasting into Expression Blend

Before you can accurately copy and paste from Design to Blend there is an option that you will need to change.

1.   Select Edit > Options > Clipboard (XAML). The Options dialog box appears.

2.   From the Clipboard format drop-down menu select XAML Silverlight Canvas.

<Image not included>

Change your Options to copy Design content more accurately.

3.   Select the object(s) that you wish to place in Blend and then choose Edit > Copy XAML, or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Z.

4.   When in Blend choose Edit > Paste, or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V.

• Marked as answer by kogrady51 Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:12 PM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:10 PM
  • I had the same issue. Tried this Answer with the same error result.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:35 PM
  • This is the one that works.
    • Proposed as answer by Javier 3D Monday, October 5, 2009 7:09 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:36 PM
  • But what happen, when you apply one o more effects in desing? Always your 'copy xaml` creates a bitmap, and i dont want this.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Yes, it happened to me using registered Silverlight 3.0 with SDK, Tools, and Toolkit.

I was following the "SilverlightSupport-Web3_StarterKit\Module01_assets" tutorial steps when the copy/paste from Design to Blend produced the error.

Note:
    Please thank whoever decided to add the text to the video tutorials so you can later search on concepts in the videos.
    I used to have to do my own docs off the MS Videos for later searches.
    That idea was Brilliant! 

Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:59 PM