none
VSTO Outlook Custom Data Stores? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's say I'm building a VSTO add-in for Outlook.   I want to be able to save some data within some sort of Outlook data store that is *only* related to my add-in.   This data needs to persist over Outlook restarts and is not associated with any type of Outlook/MAPI object.  How do I go about doing this? 

Thanks

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:07 AM

Answers

• I don't follow. A custom store provider that Outlook uses must be written using Extended MAPI following the custom store provider guidelines. Outlook natively cannot use anything else unless you write all the code to move/copy items from an Outlook store to your custom store. However, Outlook won't be involved in that, it would be all your code moving the items around.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"alexkfh" <=?utf-8?B?YWxleGtmaA==?=> wrote in message news:06171e94-1fc3-4e81-8637-7d8bc3a775e1...

Let's say I'm building a VSTO add-in for Outlook.   I want to be able to save some data within some sort of Outlook data store that is *only* related to my add-in.   This data needs to persist over Outlook restarts and is not associated with any type of Outlook/MAPI object.  How do I go about doing this? 

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, July 4, 2011 8:41 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

• I don't follow. A custom store provider that Outlook uses must be written using Extended MAPI following the custom store provider guidelines. Outlook natively cannot use anything else unless you write all the code to move/copy items from an Outlook store to your custom store. However, Outlook won't be involved in that, it would be all your code moving the items around.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"alexkfh" <=?utf-8?B?YWxleGtmaA==?=> wrote in message news:06171e94-1fc3-4e81-8637-7d8bc3a775e1...

Let's say I'm building a VSTO add-in for Outlook.   I want to be able to save some data within some sort of Outlook data store that is *only* related to my add-in.   This data needs to persist over Outlook restarts and is not associated with any type of Outlook/MAPI object.  How do I go about doing this? 

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, July 4, 2011 8:41 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hi Alexkfh,

Have you figured out your problem? If you still need any assistant, just let us know. Wish you a nice day.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:37 AM
  • We found out the defect is a non issue.  No need to proceed any further on this.   Thanks
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hi Alexlfh,

Thank you for your response.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 1, 2011 7:20 AM