Learning the club starter kit - photo album and calendar RRS feed

• Question

• User-614851559 posted

I am just learning asp.net 2.0 for a road running club. I'd like to add the photo album and calendar functions from the Club Starter Kit into our site (e.g., roles and some pages are already developed for our site). I am not sure how to start ... there was a promise of some learning tools to recreate these functions, but I don't see them.

It seems I am going backwards - the Starter Kits are a way to start a site and then add to it and I want to add functions to an existing site and learn along the way (VB). Does anyone remember back when you were a beginner? Thanks in advance. 

Saturday, June 30, 2007 2:11 PM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

The starter kits are really sample code.  You can look at portions, such as the gallery, and use that code in your own site.  But this assumes some knowledge of programming.  For most starter kits, the modules are individual code pages, and in the Club Site you'll find only a few files apply to either of the functions you describe.

Jeff

Sunday, July 1, 2007 2:20 PM
  • User-614851559 posted

Jeff,

On some Microsoft page about the starter kits (which I can't seem to find now), there were comments that there was some learning documentation, with little chunks of tasks described to develop the pages in a kit, along with the Starter Kits. From your message, I assume the documentation within the starter kit is all there is.

It's not too bad to do this. Select Website/Add Existing Item and simply add in the files required from the Starter Kit into your site (including the database and all the stored procedures - my version of VWDE did not have a template for stored procedures). Then, run the pages and the error messages will tell you what needs to be changed because things aren't found (I tend to put things in logical folders, not in the root directory like the Starter Kit). Then, change the master pages and styles to conform to look and feel of your site.

It is a thrill when it works. 

Thanks,

Deborah 

Sunday, July 1, 2007 4:38 PM