none
Require Message Field in Meeting RRS feed

• Question

• So I have a request that I'm not sure how to tackle. 

They want the Message/Text field to be required in a New Meeting. Basically they don't want people sending meetings with a blank agenda. They want that message field to be required.

I'm new at the Developer tab and I didn't see much in regards to this on Google. I really don't want to start creating custom forms for Outlook for the entire company.

Are there any scripts I can use to require that message field?

• Moved by Perry-Pan Friday, April 20, 2018 2:28 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:48 PM

Answers

• You can process the Application.ItemSend event and check if the item being passed to your event handler is a MeetingItem. If  MeetingItem.Body is empty (or only has spaces/carriage returns/etc.) pop up a prompt and set the Cancel parameter to true to abort the submission.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

• Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Monday, April 23, 2018 11:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by thenk83 Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:28 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2018 4:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for visiting Outlook Forum.

Then here we mainly focus on  general questions and feedback related to Outlook desktop application. Since your issue is more code-related, I'll help move this thread to Outlook for Developer forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 20, 2018 2:28 AM
  • You can process the Application.ItemSend event and check if the item being passed to your event handler is a MeetingItem. If  MeetingItem.Body is empty (or only has spaces/carriage returns/etc.) pop up a prompt and set the Cancel parameter to true to abort the submission.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

• Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Monday, April 23, 2018 11:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by thenk83 Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:28 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2018 4:40 AM
  • Hello,

Custom forms is an old approach for customizing UI in Outlook. As an add-in developer you may consider creating an Outlook form region where you can add additional controls and save their values where required. Read more about that in the  Creating Outlook Form Regions article.

Later, in the ItemSend event handler you may check the property where your extra data is saved and decide whether to send out an item or not.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Monday, April 23, 2018 11:06 AM
  • Hello thenk83,

What's the current state of the thread? Could Dmitry's suggestion work for you? If could, please mark the helpful reply to close the thread. If not, please feel to follow up the thread to let us know.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 23, 2018 11:19 AM