none
_derived/nortbots.htm RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the situation:

i use MS Expression Web to upload a form mail; I get this error.

The link on icrosoft Expression forum says:  The only cure for this is to upgrade from FrontPage 98 to a more recent version.

Hello, is anybody there? I am using MS expression Web 4; why the errors?

The response to previous questions were not to help the poor guy fix the problem, but to make it more confiusing.  Just say: step 1; do this; step 2; do that.  Step 3; MS Expression is as messed up as FP was.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:42 PM

All replies

• Here is the situation:

The link on icrosoft Expression forum says:  The only cure for this is to upgrade from FrontPage 98 to a more recent version.

The response to previous questions were not to help the poor guy fix the problem, but to make it more confiusing.  Just say: step 1; do this; step 2; do that.  Step 3; MS Expression is as messed up as FP was.

Can you provide a URL to the link that says the only cure is to upgrade from FrontPage 98 . . . ? I don't seem to find it on the FAQ ... Start Here page.

I'm going to keep looking . . .

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:13 AM
  • If you are using the form bots from frontpage, they require frontpage server extensions be installed on your server for the form to work. Expression Web does not support the bots in FrontPage with the exception of the include page.

A form script I can highly recommend is one by James Huggins. You can see a sample of it here http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/sample-contact.html

There are other form scripts you can use depending on what your server supports.

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:23 AM
  • In case Pat's answer wasn't clear: if you are using a form and right-clicking to get "Form Properties", that email option is for backward compatibility with FrontPage server extensions, which are needed to process an email form created that way.

In the non-FrontPage world, you don't build email forms that way.  You roll your own, or use a product that builds them for you.

Pick your scripting language and feel free to use resources on the web to help you create the form. Examples: If your site supports asp.net, use http://www.ctrfx.com/form/ and follow the instructions.  If your site supports PHP, use http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/hefs/huggins-email-form-script.htm or http://www.veign.com/code-view.php?type=web&codeid=48 .  These links do the heavy lifting for you, but you do need to follow the directions about what you need to change to customize it for your site and email.  You also need to be aware of your host's requirements for email forms, such as using a site email address, authentication, etc.

Or, check with your host.  Some offer form scripts.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Here is the situation:

Oh, really? Which link would that be? I've been here for 3-1/2 years, and I don't recall such a response. Mind posting the actual link? Unless you made that up, of course.

Hmm, let's see... Could be because Expression Web, since version 1.0, has only supported a limited subset of FrontPage features, and of those few, only a very few for creation/editing. And the few that require the FPSE for their functionality, well, require the FPSE for their functionality. Do you have them installed?

Step1: Forget that FrontPage ever existed. It no longer does, and the proprietary features it offered are, for the most part, history, and good riddance. It is reasonably safe to say that virtually nothing learned from using FrontPage is transferable to any modern, professional development tool.

Step 2: Learn modern Web practices, including HTML, CSS, and, when dynamic interaction is required, javascript and whichever server-side language is your poison-of-choice.

Step 3: Not even close. Not even in the same galaxy. Not even in the same plane of reality. FrontPage was a hobbyist's tool and a professional's nightmare. Expression Web is a first-class professional Web development tool, as like FrontPage as a Lamborghini Countach is like a child's Big Wheel®. If you intend to use EW going forward, your very first stop should be at the Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web, which were compiled by Microsoft Support primarily to assist those moving from FP to EW.

Read that page. Understand that they are not kidding; you really do need to learn something about what you are doing now. Heed Pat and Kathy's advice and look into the options available to you. Be aware that whatever you choose, you must learn something about how it works.

Bottom line: You must learn. The days of FrontPage are long gone, and as the page linked to above will tell you, you must now understand how the Web works if you intend to work with a professional tool, which is exactly what Expression Web is.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:23 AM
  • For an explanation of the nortbots.htm error see
     http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/articles/2008/10/22/01/nortbots.htm_error.aspx

You are using a form that requires FrontPage extensions, as others have said best practice is to move to another technology.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:52 AM