none
add binary display to number tool tip

Question

• I am using Visual Studio C++ 2015.

when i hover over any number it shows a tooltip with the integer 10 based value.

is there a way to add binary and maybe hex based values to that tooltip?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Iccor56,

As I said in my previous reply, in current version of Visual Studio, I don't find any settings could change the display content in Tooltip when coding.

So I suggest you submit your idea to Visual Studio User Voice and share your feedback link here. It can let other communities who has the same requirement to vote and add comments for your feedback. If there has enough communities vote it, the Visual Studio product team will consider this requirement seriously.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, September 05, 2016 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Iccor56,

Could you please share a screenshot here which can help us understanding your issue?

I create a sample C++ project in my Visual Studio 2015 and type some number. When I hover over them, the tooltip will show the number type with the value which is shown in below screenshot. If the number is 7, it will show as "(int)7". If the number is 7.7, it will show as "(double)7.7". They are not integer 10 based value.

Please check whether all the number values in your project are all integer 10 based. The tooltip content is shown based on your number type by default, which is could not changed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, August 26, 2016 7:57 AM
  • It is possible to display the binary value in Watch or Immediate windows. Type the number or the name of the variable, followed by “,b”. Example:

myVariable,b

For hexadecimal format, type “,x” or press the Hexadecimal Button in Toolbar. (If not present, it can be added using Customise features).

Friday, August 26, 2016 11:19 AM
  • yes it shows int or double. is there a way to add the int in binary notation or hex notation in the tool tip??
    Friday, September 02, 2016 12:23 AM
  • Hi Iccor56,

I checked all settings in Visual Studio and I don't find such settings could custom configure the Toolbox in Text Editor.

But I suggest you try the way that Viorel provided and following thread introduce the detailed steps. We could displaying integer values as Hex when debug.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3354453/visual-studio-debugger-displaying-integer-values-in-hex

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, September 02, 2016 2:21 AM
  • however i am not trying to do it while in the debugger. i would like to do it as i am coding.
    Friday, September 02, 2016 5:44 PM
  • Hi Iccor56,

As I said in my previous reply, in current version of Visual Studio, I don't find any settings could change the display content in Tooltip when coding.

So I suggest you submit your idea to Visual Studio User Voice and share your feedback link here. It can let other communities who has the same requirement to vote and add comments for your feedback. If there has enough communities vote it, the Visual Studio product team will consider this requirement seriously.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, September 05, 2016 1:57 AM