none
Exchange Online - shared contact shared email history across company RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure best place to ask, so I'll start here.

I'm tasked with migrating our business systems, and for a lot of those the boss wants to move to Office 365 / Exchange Online / Outlook Customer Manager.

In looking at what our 14 year old system does now I built a short list of curly questions to resolve before committing to the migration. Some (e.g. catch all mailbox) sound like Exchange can't do (so be it) however some I still can't find anything definitive for. Case in point, with our current ancient system all staff can view customer cards as well as the history of any conversations anyone has had with that customer. So in essence any staff member can see the entire email history against that customer, regardless of who the email convo was with.

I assume something modern like Exchange Online should be able to do this easily - but can't for the life of me see how (or anywhere it's documented as doing so). I had thought Outlook Customer Manager may cover some of this but I'm not sure. I don't want to bloat out to MS Dynamics just for this.

Thoughts?

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Exchange can journal all emails so it can do "catchall" emails and you can limit the view of information to subfolder(s) of the mailbox if you want. It's called delegation. 

Exchange Online is the same system as on-prem so it will do the same thing that you have on-prem exclude need to manage the Exchange server/OS itself.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Hmm, OK. I'd never been able to get catch-all working on our old on-premise Exchange, though was easy enough to get working on Google Apps - all emails for non existent/typo users go to my GApps catch-all mailbox.

Anyway that one is less vital than all company users being able to view full contact/mail history of a contact.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:17 AM
  • That`s not a standard feature of Exchange hence why the various CRM's (Microsoft and others) have implemented this (previous version of Outlook had Business Contacts Manager which was another implementation of this type of feature). The Outlook Customer Manager is designed to do just that in regards to showing communication history, it is however a very new feature and things like support in the Web and mobile clients is still being worked on. You may also find that migrating the old communication history may be an issue. Dynamics being a much more mature product is going to have more migration flexibility and import options etc.

Cheers
    Glen

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 4:38 AM
  • Last I looked Dynamics was crazy dear, even compared with other CRM systems out there - it may have changed but used to be in the realms of $35-65 for each and every user. Guess I'll have to wait until we start on an O365/EO setup, try OCM (it's a bit vague here and there about what plans include it) to see if it's as capable as our free but ancient current CRM setup (which requires IE6 to work properly-cringe).

Our current plan for migrating the communications history is just to maintain an old PC with archived access to the old system, run all new stuff thru Win 10/O365/EO etc, and never the two shall meet :P

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:59 PM
  • So, by now OCM has been out there hopefully in use for a little while now. Has anyone written any walkthroughs, videos, etc of it in use (to give a feel of it's capabilities)? Or do we have to leap in blind (the sales copy out there for it is VERY high level/sparse)
    Monday, December 4, 2017 2:36 AM