none
Windows Update fails to get updates in Standard 7 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• So, I have built the image for Standard 7 SP1 into my virtual machine and I tried to run Windows Update in order for it to stay up to date and it got stuck "Checking for updates..."

I made sure the machine was connected to the network and it was as I can visit sites on it just fine.

I tried running the FixIt and it had problems starting. Here's the error details for those wondering:

Package ID: WindowsUpdateDiagnostic
    Path: Unknown
    Error code: 0x80070002
    Source: Engine
    User: <Computer Name>\<User Name>
    Context: Restricted

I ran the SFC and opened the CBS log. I noticed a handful of failed attempts at opening some Windows Update packages.

The errors were pretty much the same for all failed attempts:

2016-11-11 10:33:03, Info                  CBS    Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]

However, it did end up saying it repaired all the issues it found:

2016-11-12 08:05:01, Info                  CSI    00000424 [SR] Repair complete
    2016-11-12 08:05:01, Info                  CSI    00000425 [SR] Committing transaction
    2016-11-12 08:05:01, Info                  CSI    00000426 Creating NT transaction (seq 2), objectname [6]"(null)"
    2016-11-12 08:05:01, Info                  CSI    00000427 Created NT transaction (seq 2) result 0x00000000, handle @0xcb4
    2016-11-12 08:05:01, Info                  CSI    00000428@2016/11/12:13:05:01.494 CSI perf trace:
    CSIPERF:TXCOMMIT;11856
    2016-11-12 08:05:01, Info                  CSI    00000429 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired

After all that, I noticed the issues still persist. Still stuck checking and FixIt still doesn't want to start.

I even had this same issue in actual hardware (In both 32-bit and 64-bit, the VM is 32-bit) and all my troubleshooting didn't seem to budge either.

I basically did all what I can do (I even ran a CHKDSK and found no problems), so what else can I do in order to resolve this issue?

(If anyone needs more data, ask and I'll try to collect it)

• Edited by JackNetOnMSDN Saturday, November 12, 2016 2:16 PM Tested it in real hardware
    Saturday, November 12, 2016 1:31 PM

Answers

• I've tried to install it many times in many VMs and real machines, but it always ends up having the same issue.

I checksummed both x86 and x64 ISOs and verified the DVDs I burnt as well as the extractor files for x86 and x64 I got from the download page and everything matches.

I've done every troubleshooting advice I can find and think of multiple times, but still nothing.

I need the updates flowing so I can keep the OS up-to-date.

I did try installing IE11 successfully to at least nudge some updates in, but it doesn't budge the updater since I still get the same error on the Windows Update FixIt.

Maybe the Download Center's copy of ES7 SP1 has a broken version of Windows Update and I probably have to go on a hunt for a more stable ISO copy.

Solution found!

A friend of mine on Twitter just recently posted instructions on how to fix the update issue. He suggested to install the KB3138612 patch from the Download Center (The update is also in x64).

I'll go ahead and re-state his instructions for anyone who is also having the issue:

1. Stop the Windows Update service. This can be done through the Task Manager on the "Services" tab and then stopping "wuauserv" by right-clicking it and then clicking "Stop Service" on the drop-down. Alternatively, you can stop it through Administrative Tools>Services, finding the "Windows Update" service and then stopping it by right-clicking the entry and then clicking "Stop" on the drop-down.
    2. Run the MSU to install the patch. It will then say "Do you want to install the following Windows software update?". Click "Yes" and it will install the patch. The computer will then restart.
    3. Now proceed to check for updates. It will take a while, but after that you should now see updates flowing.

I am now able to receive updates. This discussion can now be considered solved.

• Edited by JackNetOnMSDN Saturday, December 24, 2016 3:54 PM Solution found
    • Marked as answer by JackNetOnMSDN Saturday, December 24, 2016 3:55 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:23 PM

All replies

• Update

I have speculation that it might have been the ISOs being partially corrupted during transit (Particularly in the Windows Update file parts of the image), but that's unlikely since the ISOs seem to be in the right size and I have good faith that all the parts were downloaded completely since I've verified each part to make sure nothing is left out.

I got the evaluation ISOs (Which I then activated with my own key) for both 32-bit and 64-bit from the Download Center (I'm not sure if I can link where I got the OS, but I'm doing it since it might be info worthy) and I have extracted the parts using a separate program instead of using the part 1 EXE since I was using my Mac at the time of downloading them. Maybe I could try re-downloading the ISO on my Windows machine and use the part 1 EXE instead of using a separate extractor software, but I'm not sure that might fix the problem.

In the meantime, this issue still persists in the VM. Still trying to check for updates in an endless loop.

Saturday, November 26, 2016 3:18 AM
  • Can it actually reach the updates?

That sounds like a good place to start.

While I use real hardware, I just updated a brand new image (because if you add all the updates via WEDU, your machine dies >_<) from my local WSUS and it took about 1 hr to do 102 updates (543mb)

=^x^=

Thursday, December 1, 2016 5:10 AM
  • Can it actually reach the updates?

That sounds like a good place to start.

While I use real hardware, I just updated a brand new image (because if you add all the updates via WEDU, your machine dies >_<) from my local WSUS and it took about 1 hr to do 102 updates (543mb)

=^x^=

The answer for that seems to be a no.

Because the update system seems to be "Checking for updates..." in an endless loop, it probably means it isn't reaching them. Maybe if you are able to provide me a way to let me gather more technical information on what the updater is doing I can post it and let you take a look.

According to KB910336 which I found while doing some searching, the error code (0x80070002) that I got for running the Windows Update FixIt has something to do with missing Windows Update files even though I have checked to make sure all of the operating system files were installed properly and they were. I have done all I could for the solutions the KB gave me but I didn't get any luck. I did some more searching and I discovered some people were having a similar issue which was somehow later resolved on it's own despite my end still having this issue stuck. However this question is regarding Embedded Standard 7 and the others were of other versions of Windows, so it became a bit inconclusive.

I also happen to have an RTM version of Embedded Standard 7 and that receives updates just fine. It's odd how this is happening to only the SP1 version.

Update

Unfortunately, even after re-downloading the ISO, I seem to have the same problems. So it wasn't the ISO's fault at all, but rather an issue with the OS itself.

• Edited by JackNetOnMSDN Friday, December 2, 2016 3:20 AM Not the ISO's fault.
    Friday, December 2, 2016 2:12 AM
  • I've tried to install it many times in many VMs and real machines, but it always ends up having the same issue.

I checksummed both x86 and x64 ISOs and verified the DVDs I burnt as well as the extractor files for x86 and x64 I got from the download page and everything matches.

I've done every troubleshooting advice I can find and think of multiple times, but still nothing.

I need the updates flowing so I can keep the OS up-to-date.

I did try installing IE11 successfully to at least nudge some updates in, but it doesn't budge the updater since I still get the same error on the Windows Update FixIt.

Maybe the Download Center's copy of ES7 SP1 has a broken version of Windows Update and I probably have to go on a hunt for a more stable ISO copy.

Solution found!

A friend of mine on Twitter just recently posted instructions on how to fix the update issue. He suggested to install the KB3138612 patch from the Download Center (The update is also in x64).

I'll go ahead and re-state his instructions for anyone who is also having the issue:

1. Stop the Windows Update service. This can be done through the Task Manager on the "Services" tab and then stopping "wuauserv" by right-clicking it and then clicking "Stop Service" on the drop-down. Alternatively, you can stop it through Administrative Tools>Services, finding the "Windows Update" service and then stopping it by right-clicking the entry and then clicking "Stop" on the drop-down.
    2. Run the MSU to install the patch. It will then say "Do you want to install the following Windows software update?". Click "Yes" and it will install the patch. The computer will then restart.
    3. Now proceed to check for updates. It will take a while, but after that you should now see updates flowing.

I am now able to receive updates. This discussion can now be considered solved.

• Edited by JackNetOnMSDN Saturday, December 24, 2016 3:54 PM Solution found
    • Marked as answer by JackNetOnMSDN Saturday, December 24, 2016 3:55 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:23 PM