how to access my temporary second web site by using URL (or IP) of my primary web site RRS feed

• Question

• User1167734619 posted

I have an ASP .NET web app site (ie. www.first.com).
    I also have a temporary 2nd ASP .NET web app project.
    I want to access 2ND site from the Internet by using somehow the URL of the 1ST web site.

How do I set up IIS to do this?

For example, can I have "www.first.com/second" browse the default.aspx of the 2ND web app project?

Host is Windows Server 2016 Pro on my Azure VM.

Sunday, February 17, 2019 6:04 PM

All replies

• User283571144 posted

Hi doug@soft-factory.com,

For example, can I have "www.first.com/second" browse the default.aspx of the 2ND web app project?

According to your descrition, I suggest you could use virtual directory or IIS nested application to achieve your requirement.

You could add application or virtual directory inside your current application to achieve accessing the second web site by using URL (or IP) of my primary web site.

More details, you could refer to below steps;

1.Open the IIS management console and right click your primary application.

2.Select application or virtual directory and select the web application physical path.

Notice: The difference between add application and add virtual directory is the add application contains its own application pool but virtual directory use  primary web application's application pool.

Add application:

Add virtual directory:

Result:

Best Regards,

Brando

Monday, February 18, 2019 2:46 AM
  • User1167734619 posted

Hi, Mark.

Couple questions:

1) I added Application called "TEST" and chose Default App Pool.  is this ok?

2) I browsed http://myweb.com/test/ and got:
    and nothing happens -- just the browser's spinning circle which never stops.

Saturday, February 23, 2019 5:56 PM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi doug@soft-factory.com,

1) I added Application called "TEST" and chose Default App Pool.  is this ok?

You could create a new application pool in IIS and choose it.

2) I browsed http://myweb.com/test/ and got:
    and nothing happens -- just the browser's spinning circle which never stops.

I suggest you could check the IIS logs to know what happened when you access the site.

Best Regards,

Brando

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 6:08 AM