Breakpoints added when debugging RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running VS 2010 and whenever I set a breakpoint prior to debugging(F5) other breakpoints get added along with the one I set. When I look in the breakpoint viewer I see only the one I added. The only way I've been able to clear this is to remove all the breakpoints one at a time or use the viewer and remove all and then re-add my original breakpoint. The behavior doesn't occur when I set the breakpoint after I start debugging. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:49 PM

Answers

• Have yours others project also has the same behavior when you set the breakpoints?

I mean, if it is, then it would be the Visual Studio problem, then I suggest you try the following options:

You need locate to the IDE folder then run these commands, or you can set path to the system environment.

The following path is the vs2010 in my system, and you can use this for reference.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE

Devenv.exe /SafeMode  Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.

Devenv.exe /ResetSettings    Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

Devenv.exe /ResetAddin       Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.

Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs  Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.

After these, you can create a new project in a new workspace to avoid if therere any problems of the old workspace settings.

If this issue is also exists, then you need to reinstall the vs2010.

1. Uninstall vs2010.
    1. Clean the registry and files on disk.
    2. Install vs2010.
    3. Create the new solution in a new workspace.

If it only in a special project, then can you share it to us?

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, January 16, 2012 5:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to the MSDN forum!

1.       You could check that whether all the breakpoints are superposed or not in the Breakpoint list window.

2.       With VS2010, you could Export all breakpoints to the .xml file, open the xml file, and check whether it has the information about other breakpoint.

3.       If still no help, I think you can use the Import and Export Settings Wizard to reset the settings or Import a new setting to check it.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Dos Zhang Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:03 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:46 AM
  • Addition to Jack's post,

When you said that the prior breakpoints are lost, does the prior breakpoints is existing in this project and can be hit when you debug this project, just the Breakpoints Window does not show them to you?

As Jack mentioned, you can export the breakpoints out form your this project use Visual Studio 2010 feature:

Please let me know the suggestions result.

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Friday, January 6, 2012 6:52 AM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:33 AM
  • When When I stated "prior" I meant before hitting "F5" and no the initial breakpoint isn't lost there are just new ones that get added. The added breakpoints do not get hit. Before F5:

Friday, January 13, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Have yours others project also has the same behavior when you set the breakpoints?

I mean, if it is, then it would be the Visual Studio problem, then I suggest you try the following options:

You need locate to the IDE folder then run these commands, or you can set path to the system environment.

The following path is the vs2010 in my system, and you can use this for reference.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE

Devenv.exe /SafeMode  Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.

Devenv.exe /ResetSettings    Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

Devenv.exe /ResetAddin       Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.

Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs  Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.

After these, you can create a new project in a new workspace to avoid if therere any problems of the old workspace settings.

If this issue is also exists, then you need to reinstall the vs2010.

1. Uninstall vs2010.
    1. Clean the registry and files on disk.
    2. Install vs2010.
    3. Create the new solution in a new workspace.

If it only in a special project, then can you share it to us?

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Monday, January 16, 2012 5:39 AM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:00 AM
  • thanks Mike, i just ran the

and it appears to have resolved the issue.

Monday, January 30, 2012 6:10 PM
  • You're welcome!
    Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:54 AM