Trigger a WorkFlow when a Survey is created RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using SharePoint 2007 and I'm trying to create a workflow after a new survey is created. I am a newbie to SharePoint. Got to know that configuring workflow in SharePoint is strait forward when adding a item to a existing list or library. (Like in Document - Publishing Pages and in Calendar - new event creation) But the Survey it is not so. Is it possible to implement a event handler that can trigger a workflow soon after a Survey is created ? Also,  what might be the best way to create a workflow for this purpose ?

Thanks in Advance !!

Friday, March 19, 2010 5:22 AM

Answers

• surveys are different from lists/libraries. unfortunately you can't trigger a workflow uppon survey creation. what you can do, is attach the workflow to a specific content type (for example, survey), but this isn't quite easy.

unfortunately, workflows in SP2007 are tied to a specific list/library. this issue has been enhanced in SP 2010 using Site Workflows.

• Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, March 26, 2010 8:59 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 7:26 AM

All replies

• surveys are different from lists/libraries. unfortunately you can't trigger a workflow uppon survey creation. what you can do, is attach the workflow to a specific content type (for example, survey), but this isn't quite easy.

unfortunately, workflows in SP2007 are tied to a specific list/library. this issue has been enhanced in SP 2010 using Site Workflows.

• Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, March 26, 2010 8:59 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

Thanks for replying ! Could you please give me a lead on how to attach the workflow to a specific content type ?

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:43 AM
  • you need to create a deployable workflow using VS. then just go to the content type properties and then workflow settings. you can then add a workflow to that content type.

out-of-the-box you can add the 3-state workflow that can be added.

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:46 PM
  • hi alexander,

if i want to create a survey content type what parent content type should i select? thanks.

allan
    Friday, March 19, 2010 7:41 PM
  • the regular survey in SP is quite tricky to duplicate as a content type. you can create a survey template by using a custom form and a list.

Monday, March 22, 2010 7:50 AM
  • the regular survey in SP is quite tricky to duplicate as a content type. you can create a survey template by using a custom form and a list.

Monday, March 22, 2010 7:50 AM