none
Where can I get documentation on the Outlook 2013 Object Model? RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Outlook add-in, with versions for Outlook 2003 built in VS2005 and VSTO2005, and another for Outlook 2007 and 2010 built in VS2010 and VSTO2010.  The version built in VS2010 loads in Outlook 2013 ... but does not really accomplish anything.

I realize that I will need to upgrade to VS2012 to fully work on the Outlook 2013 version, but am looking for documentation for the Outlook 2013 Object Model.  I am finding that there are a lot of objects that I currently use that either are not present, or are there but empty.  What is the best way to get started on this project?  A wholesale switch to VS2012 may not be possible if that requires .NET 4.5, as I understand that .NET 4.5 is not compatible with WinXP, which is still the OS of choice for a large number of our users.

mdpowers

Friday, February 1, 2013 5:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• with vs2012 you can use .net 4.0 to develop add-ins and this verison is supported on winxp. So you can either go this route or you can keep your vs2010 investment and solve non working code case by case. i would go for latter choice myself.

Friday, February 1, 2013 6:14 PM
  • If I stick with vs2010, I am unable to run it in the debugger; it says that the installed office is not compatible or some such.  Much of the UI object model is radically different from O2010, and I have not found where to "anchor" things that ended up on the "Add-ins" tab in 2010.  Also, the AdvancedSearch feature does not work as it did in prior versions.  Hence, the question, no matter which version of VisualStudio I use, is "Where is the documentation?"

mdpowers

Friday, February 1, 2013 7:35 PM
  • The Outlook object model is almost the same in Outlook 2013 as in 2010. Some things were deprecated, but they still work, and not many things were deprecated. There are a few new things, but not many. I'd hardly call the changes radically different.

FWIW, all my addins that work on 2010 will work on 2013. Even the VB6 addins still work with 2013 with alomst no changes, as long as it's 2013 32-bit Outlook. AdvancedSearch should be identical.

What isn't working?

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "mdpowers-slo" <=?utf-8?B?bWRwb3dlcnMtc2xv?=> wrote in message news:5d29e664-27b6-4307-bdaf-68fd7109ce56...

If I stick with vs2010, I am unable to run it in the debugger; it says that the installed office is not compatible or some such.  Much of the UI object model is radically different from O2010, and I have not found where to "anchor" things that ended up on the "Add-ins" tab in 2010.  Also, the AdvancedSearch feature does not work as it did in prior versions.  Hence, the question, no matter which version of VisualStudio I use, is "Where is the documentation?"

mdpowers

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, February 1, 2013 9:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by mdpowers-slo Friday, February 1, 2013 10:16 PM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 9:23 PM
  • Advanced Search appears to NEVER finish.  We use the Advanced Search to find items to process.

The Menu Bar is there but it is empty.  We added an option to the Tools menu item, but it throws an exception because there is no Tools menu item in the Menu Bar.

mdpowers

Friday, February 1, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Thank you Damien!  

I'll try to get things working in vs2010, but if needed will switch to vs2012 if it can target .NET 4.0.

mdpowers

Friday, February 1, 2013 10:18 PM
  • you can definietly target .net 4.0, .net 4.5 is just in-place replacement for .net 4.0. But as Ken said - things should work in outlook 2013 without any changes - i would rather investigate why it does not work right now instead of spending time converting add-in only to find out it is still not working. maybe star separate thread for your search problem
    Friday, February 1, 2013 10:36 PM
  • I'll start new threads for the individual problems I'm having.

mdpowers

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:03 PM
  • What are you searching for, and what does the code for the search look like? I haven't seen any AdvancedSearch problems where it never stops.

I would not expect to be able to use the old CommandBars interfaces, those were deprecated completely in 2010. Why not handle things correctly and test for the Outlook version, if it's 2010 or later use the ribbon interface for Explorers. If it's 2007 or later use the ribbon for Inspectors.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "mdpowers-slo" <=?utf-8?B?bWRwb3dlcnMtc2xv?=> wrote in message news:82be5b60-8440-45a5-af34-881590a067a5...

Advanced Search appears to NEVER finish.  We use the Advanced Search to find items to process.

The Menu Bar is there but it is empty.  We added an option to the Tools menu item, but it throws an exception because there is no Tools menu item in the Menu Bar.

mdpowers

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, February 4, 2013 5:06 PM
  • The CommandBar interfaces may have been deprecated in 2010 ... but they still work.  There is a vestige of them in the 2013 objects, but the objects themselves don't contain anything.  In 2010, the UI elements that I was still putting into CommandBars and the MenuBar are showing up in a new tab on the Ribbon titled "Add-ins".

I'll investigate switching to the Ribbon interface and doing things correctly for 2010 and above.

Thanks for your help!

mdpowers

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:57 PM
  • First reason I was having problems, especially with the UI elements, was that I was still using the CommandBar interface.  It may have been deprecated in 2010, but it still worked ... sort of.  It was one of those old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" situations ... it worked well enough.

I'm starting to switch over to the Ribbon for both 2010 and 2013 ... but I'm not finding the references on it.  I realize that this problem is that I'm looking in the wrong place, looking for "Ribbon" in the documentation referenced below by DamianD (http://msdn.microsoft.com/enus/library/office/ee861520.aspx) and not finding it there.  What should I be looking for?

mdpowers

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:31 PM
  • http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa338202(v=office.12).aspx targets Office 2007; on Outlook 2007, the ribbon is only on Inspectors, but I need to put my UI elements on the active explorer.  The VSTO 2007 book by Carter & Lippert has information on using a visual designer to build the ribbon customization ... but the VS2010 designer crashes as soon as I create one using their instructions.

Is there anyplace that has some nice "simple" cookbook instructions that target Outlook 2010 on VS2010 that would help me get going on this?  What I would love is an updated edition of the Carter & Lippert VSTO books that target 2010 and/or 2013!

mdpowers

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:12 PM