none
Why its so confusiing to get the right version of EF? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When i create new project and add a model.edmx, it automatically inserts few references.

Whenever i go to properties of "System.Data.Entity.dll"  it show me version 4.0.0.0

Why it is so hard to get version EF 4.3.1.  

The Nuget way, it just shows version 5, which i do not want.   Also even if it gets a particular version, it will simply get a new dll vesion, is that all i need? i wonder how EF Model designer gets its update, because i am sure there will be some model designer upgrades in EF 4.3.1.

Can anyone please guide.   its so confusing for starters.

Regards

Monday, December 17, 2012 11:41 AM

Answers

• Hi;

To your question Q1, The Entity Framework Designer is updated when you do a Windows Update.

To your question Q2, The default EF that is used is determine by the last update to Visual Studio and what it was programmed to use as the default.

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Marked as answer by JiyaDesai Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:53 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 9:07 PM

All replies

• HI,

read this article : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/jj574253.aspx

Hope this helps, and all your confusion may have dissolved.

One good question is equivalent to ten best answers.

Monday, December 17, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Hi JiyaDesai;

Using the Nuget GUI package manager only will download the lates packages. To download a previous version you need to use the package management console. to do that :

From the manin menu of the Visual Studio IDE select Tools menu, select Library Package Manager and then click Package Manager Console.

The package management window will open at the bottom of the screen with a prompt of PM>. To download and install Entity Framework 4.3.1 execute the following command at the package management console window prompt.

Install-Package EntityFramework -Version 4.3.1

Once it is done executing the command you will see the following messages:

Successfully installed 'EntityFramework 4.3.1'.

Successfully added 'EntityFramework 4.3.1' to <Your project name here>.

At this point EF 4.3.1 is ready to use.

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Proposed as answer by Steve Hémond Monday, December 17, 2012 3:24 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

Q1. But what about designer upgrades in EF 4.3.1.  Does that also upgrades Visual Studio Model Designer ?

Q2. Also I feel that this process is to be done per project.  Can't be that whenever i add a new item entity model, it adds  EF 4.3.1 related stuff.

Regards

Monday, December 17, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Hi;

To your question Q1, The Entity Framework Designer is updated when you do a Windows Update.

To your question Q2, The default EF that is used is determine by the last update to Visual Studio and what it was programmed to use as the default.

Fernando (MCSD)

• Marked as answer by JiyaDesai Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:53 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 9:07 PM